Blue Gourami- old age or disease?

Knew tooth is

My beautiful blue gourami, about 5 yrs old, for the past several days doesn't eat and stays in the corner between gulps of air at the surface. Could this be a sign of old age or a disease of some kind? The gourami is in a community tank and all of the other fish are doing fine. Should I move the gourami to another tank by itself? I would hate to cause stress.

• Like 1

When you say “blue gourami” are you referring to an Opaline, Three-spot Gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) ?

You describe your fish as “about 5 yrs old.” If that is how long you have had your gourami, and if you got your fish at a size typically for sale in the hobby, there is a possibility that you acquired it already nearly a year old.

Though they can live longer, 5-6 years is an average full life span. Unless some other clues suggest otherwise, old age is a fair guess.

Hi Colu, thanks for your comments and questions. The good news is that the Gourami (3 spotted; see picture) is still alive. The less than good news is that the Gourami is still hiding in the corner, comes up for gulps only occasionally, and I don't see it eating. Changed to dried brine shrimp and different flake foods and still haven't seen any eating. The Gourami also used to readily eat the 2 different kinds of bottom pellets (for the pleco's, catfish, otocinclus, and algae eater), but still no sign of eating. The water parameters are: pH 7.4, KH 50-100 ppm (3 drops with API kit), GH 100-200 ppm (10 drops with API kit), ammonia 0-0.25 ppm (similar to tap water), nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 5 ppm. The picture was taken after placing my hand in the corner where it hides and then it comes swimming out right away. Of course, I dislike doing this stress-inducing maneuver. Didn't used to be like this. About two weeks ago, the Gourami was eating, competing well with the other fish for the food- including mollies with voracious appetites along with several tetras, and swimming steadily and freely throughout the tank, unharassed. There used to be another Gourami in this tank, but the other Gourami was incessantly tail nipping. I moved this other Gourami to another tank and it is continuing to do really well. No new fish have been introduced into this tank. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_20230421_163116475.jpg

• 1 month later...