Keeping 5 individuals of multiple species of rainbowfish

Hiếu Lê

Hello everyone, so I caved into the rainbowfish side of the hobby and on the advice of the store clerks I bought 5 turquoise and 5 parkinsoni rainbows today. I was wondering if there is a difference between having 5 of each instead the usual recommended minimum of 6. Has anyone got any experience with this? I would prefer not having to add a sixth individual as I am planning to add 5 more red millenium rainbowfish and would likely not have the fund for a sixth individuals for all three species. It is a 125 gallon with a 15-20 gallon sump and I also have 9 boesemani and around 18 praecox

I would not worry about having 5 of each species instead of six. I think, a lot of people will say minimum of six for many fish so that people are not going into a store and buy one or a pair of fish that generally like to be kept in groups. One less fish in the group is really not going to make that big of a difference. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, Randall H said:

As a side question, how do you typically deal with groups where one or more die? Do you add more to get to the "ideal" number, or let it be?

I would just leave them be, honestly their social structure are probably figured out at that point and it would probably do no good to shake things up. Granted, that is if they are behaving normally and eating well. If the group's number becomes too low, like 2-3 left and/or they become inactive, skittish and shy, I would probably add more. In short, don't fix what is not broken.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 5:42 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would not worry about having 5 of each species instead of six. I think, a lot of people will say minimum of six for many fish so that people are not going into a store and buy one or a pair of fish that generally like to be kept in groups. One less fish in the group is really not going to make that big of a difference. 

Yup.  I can't be sure, but I really don't believe fish can count.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, Randall H said:

As a side question, how do you typically deal with groups where one or more die? Do you add more to get to the "ideal" number, or let it be?

It depends.  If you want to keep that particular species, then I'd suggest adding to it.  If you don't, then let them die one at a time until they're gone.  (There is no wrong answer.)

• Like 1

Oh well, I guess I will update this thread if I notice a difference in behavior compare to my boesemani, which has 9 individuals. 

Another question though, does this rainbow look weird to you guys? He/she looks a little skinny to me, very active, looking for and pecking at food btw, despite it being just the first day for them.

Skinny rainbow 1.jpg

Skinny rainbow 2.jpg

On 4/20/2023 at 8:43 PM, Hiếu Lê said:

Oh well, I guess I will update this thread if I notice a difference in behavior compare to my boesemani, which has 9 individuals. 

Another question though, does this rainbow look weird to you guys? He/she looks a little skinny to me, very active, looking for and pecking at food btw, despite it being just the first day for them.

She (I think) looks okay to me.