Breeding Gold Laser Corydoras

NanotankBank

For awhile I’ve wanted to breed Corydoras, and what better species than the gold laser Cory? However, it’s hard to find exact parameters to succeed with breeding online, because every website offers different advice. Y’all have not failed me in the past and I want some opinions on water parameters, if a 20gL plastic tub with a sponge filter and a bunch of Java moss (bare bottom) would work, and other tips. Thanks!

On 4/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, NanotankBank said:

However, it’s hard to find exact parameters to succeed with breeding online, because every website offers different advice.

In general, "it doesn't matter".  Meaning, there isn't a specific number to reach for.  There is a process I can outline that should work, generally speaking for a lot of corydoras.  I will start by saying, please go ahead and watch this.  It's a great tutorial on how to spawn corydoras and what that process looks like long term.  It took me a long time to get one species to spawn, the other was very easy, each one is a little unique.

Step 0:  Make sure the setup is right for the fish

Step 0.1:  Feed the right foods, be consistent, have a good diet with daily *morning* feedings.  This is part of the process of conditioning them to get eggs in development.

Step 1:  When you're ready to spawn them: feed them every other day, at night, just after the lights go out.  (Having a bit of ambient light in the room is helpful and encourages them to still be active)  My go to food for this is repashy.

Step 2:  Following a few nights, 3-4, of the above feedings, then proceed with a good water change.  This can be 50%, it can be 80%.  You can also add an airstone following that big water change. 

Step 2A:  If this doesn't produce a spawn then you want to follow the alternate method.  This would include not doing a water change and letting the parameters in the tank "build up".  Let the tank do it's thing and have some good evaporation on the tank.  Once you have that, following the big feedings, then proceed with that big water change and shift in GH/KH.  This will encourage some species as well.

Step 3:  If you have one group of corydoras that spawned, you can take a portion of water from that tank and add it to another tank, sharing the hormones in the water to encourage breeding. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 2:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In general, "it doesn't matter".  Meaning, there isn't a specific number to reach for.  There is a process I can outline that should work, generally speaking for a lot of corydoras.  I will start by saying, please go ahead and watch this.  It's a great tutorial on how to spawn corydoras and what that process looks like long term.  It took me a long time to get one species to spawn, the other was very easy, each one is a little unique.

Step 0:  Make sure the setup is right for the fish

Step 0.1:  Feed the right foods, be consistent, have a good diet with daily *morning* feedings.  This is part of the process of conditioning them to get eggs in development.

Step 1:  When you're ready to spawn them: feed them every other day, at night, just after the lights go out.  (Having a bit of ambient light in the room is helpful and encourages them to still be active)  My go to food for this is repashy.

Step 2:  Following a few nights, 3-4, of the above feedings, then proceed with a good water change.  This can be 50%, it can be 80%.  You can also add an airstone following that big water change. 

Step 2A:  If this doesn't produce a spawn then you want to follow the alternate method.  This would include not doing a water change and letting the parameters in the tank "build up".  Let the tank do it's thing and have some good evaporation on the tank.  Once you have that, following the big feedings, then proceed with that big water change and shift in GH/KH.  This will encourage some species as well.

Step 3:  If you have one group of corydoras that spawned, you can take a portion of water from that tank and add it to another tank, sharing the hormones in the water to encourage breeding. 

Amazing advice! Thank you! When you get spawns, do you put the fry into a breeder box or simply provide ample hiding spaces (ex. Moss) for them in the tank? Also do you treat it with anything (like methylene blue)

On 4/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, NanotankBank said:

Amazing advice! Thank you! When you get spawns, do you put the fry into a breeder box or simply provide ample hiding spaces (ex. Moss) for them in the tank? Also do you treat it with anything (like methylene blue)

Last time I did the breeder box. Much easier to ensure the fry are ok.  I also did methylene blue and still lost some eggs.  There is a method recommended of using Neo shrimp with fish eggs to keep the fungus off.  That's worth a try as well.