Water quality during medicating

LDZ

After quarantine of lamb chop rasbora and all looking good I added them to my tank, I now see one with a small white growth on his mouth and one with grey looking patches on its body.   I suspect columaris.   Completed one set of maracyn and today started maracyn and ickx for a week long soak as per aquarium co-op.  I am worried about ammonia spike.   So far all readings have been 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites low nitrates.   If I see a spike what do I do.  I use prime, do I add according to their website for spikes or do a water change?  If I do a water change do I add back in removed medication?

Is this the best plan for the suspected disease??  What else should I do. 

I have the rasbora, one female Betta, hillstream loach and Cory catfish.

The two symptomatic fish have been in the tank over a week should I still remove them and put them into a quarantine tank and stop treating my main tank or just keep treating the main tank because everyone has been exposed already??  It seems to be one thing after another with this tank.  Getting discouraged and feeling very bad for the fish 🐠😪. Thank you for your help.

Columnaris is a gram negative bacterial infection it can kill your fish in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain and it spreads more quickly at temperature over 75 the Most effective treatment I have found is a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan you could quarantine and treat the two symptomatic fish if any other fish show symptoms I would treat the main tank test more frequently during treatment if you notice any ammonia or nitrite add a double dose of prime do slightly larger than 25% water change this treatment plan calls for @LDZ IMG_20230115_235240.jpg.aea9ff10f16f441de980d31d7f2cfdad.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@ColuI ordered the jungle fizz and already have kanaplex.  Thank you for your help.  I wanted to make sure these are safe for my hillstream loach and Cory at the dosage you recommended.   Also I have a food with kanamycin and metronidazole and nitrofurazone in it would this help?  If so how would I use it, with the other meds or alone??  How much do I feed?  Everyone is eating well right now.  Again I am worried about the loaches and Cory. 

It's my understanding that the meds kanaplex and fizz will harm my plants should I take them out of the tank??  Thanx again!!!!

The treatment I recommended is safe for Cory's and loach the medicated food you have I would use on its own not with other medications following the instructions on the packet that would be effective at treating columnaris provide all your fish are eating @LDZ

@ColuTwo more questions.  My aquarium is heavily planted with Anubias and java fern.   Should I remove the plants prior to treating with kanaplex and jungle fizz or will they be ok.  Can the plants carry colomaris back into the tank after treatment?

I currently have just finished a maracyn and ickx treatment after the water change should I run charcoal in the filter to remove residual drugs before starting the new meds if so for how long.   Thank you for all your help and time.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:47 PM, LDZ said:

@ColuTwo more questions.  My aquarium is heavily planted with Anubias and java fern.   Should I remove the plants prior to treating with kanaplex and jungle fizz or will they be ok.  Can the plants carry colomaris back into the tank after treatment?

I currently have just finished a maracyn and ickx treatment after the water change should I run charcoal in the filter to remove residual drugs before starting the new meds if so for how long.   Thank you for all your help and time.

Do a large water change and put carbon back in to remove the medication and you what to treat as soon as possible if your dealing with columnaris personal I never remove plants during treatment with Kanaplex it can be harmful to some plants I have used it with Javan fern's Anubis and Vallis with no problems 

• Like 1