What kind of snail is this

Monkeypoint

I found this little guy on the glass of the 10 gallon shrimp breeding tank I set up a little over a week ago. I have no idea how it got there. All the plants are from my other aquarium. I haven’t put any new plants in it other than some Java moss I attached to spiderwood. I would have noticed a hitchhiker of that size. I did put a couple of Mystery snails in the established tank a few weeks ago but this doesn’t look like a Mystery snail. For now, I’ve put him in a small container with some tank water from the established tank and a little bit of blanched spinach since there isn’t any algae yet in the breeder tank. He’s zipping around at a good clip (for a snail). 

464BA521-6EEC-4FCC-B4CA-72B90C341547.jpeg

It should be find to put in the main tank as long as you are okay with have more snails. I like snails - I have a fine crop of rams horns, Malaysian trumpet snails, and bladder snails in my tanks. I have to weed them out occasionally and I was taking them to my LFS for their puffer. It's died ( they took it in from someone and it wasn't well) so I don't know what I'll do now. But they keep my tanks relatively algae free and are fun to watch. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, Birdsnstuff said:

It should be find to put in the main tank as long as you are okay with have more snails. I like snails - I have a fine crop of rams horns, Malaysian trumpet snails, and bladder snails in my tanks. I have to weed them out occasionally and I was taking them to my LFS for their puffer. It's died ( they took it in from someone and it wasn't well) so I don't know what I'll do now. But they keep my tanks relatively algae free and are fun to watch. 

It sounds like you need to get your own pea puffer.  😉

• Haha 3

On 4/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, Birdsnstuff said:

@JettsPapa I’ve had that thought! I’m slowly putting a 40B together and the plan is to move some current fish from a 20 into it. I’m sneaking up on getting a pea puffer for the 20 once it’s free. 😉

I have one in my 40 gallon breeder community tank.  I know some people say they will attack anything in the tank with them, but this one (and the other one I had until it died recently) have never bothered the other fish, and in fact seem to be intimidated by them.

• Like 1

Bladder snail update: I ran out to run a couple of errands yesterday afternoon. I was gone for about an hour, give or take. I was going to drop the snail into the tank but when I got home, I found the little container I put it in empty. I looked down, and there it was, on the floor, motionless. It looked dried out but knowing snails can live outside of water for a while, I dropped it in the tank and hoped for the best. Ten minutes later, it was halfway up a Moneywort stem. Great! Welcome to your new world, little snail. About an hour later, I went to check on it and one of my female Amano shrimp that's grown to about the size of a Prius was happily snacking away on it. R.I.P little Bladder snail.

• Sad 3

It depends on the antennae.  If they are thin like hair, it's a bladder snail.  If they are more like flappy ears, it's a pond snail.  Pond snails eat plants.

image.jpeg.51ecc096f87e4234c561673b7e84e14a.jpeg

On 4/19/2023 at 10:31 AM, Monkeypoint said:

About an hour later, I went to check on it and one of my female Amano shrimp that's grown to about the size of a Prius was happily snacking away on it. R.I.P little Bladder snail.

its the circle of life and death lion king told me - Baby Godfather -  quickmeme