Powerhead for cleaning/water changes

msherrill25

I was watching a video of Cory's where he highly recommends the cobalt 1200 powerhead but I see it discontinued everywhere.  Is there an alternative to this piece of equipment that anyone can recommend as a dependable replacement or does anyone know of a source for these?

Sicce has their Ultra Zero pumps that work well and you can basically empty a tank with them.  They are commonly termed "sump pumps". 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea has one that was used for water changes.  I don't know if that is still in use to a few rogue bucket accidents.

I have a sicce syncra nano that is slow enough for smaller tanks and it could be used in that scenario as well.  Most pumpheads, as long as you keep them submerged you can run them.

Here's another video showing another use for the pumphead style of setup (in the aquarium as opposed to running it dry.

• Love 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sicce has their Ultra Zero pumps that work well and you can basically empty a tank with them.  They are commonly termed "sump pumps". 

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea has one that was used for water changes.  I don't know if that is still in use to a few rogue bucket accidents.

I have a sicce syncra nano that is slow enough for smaller tanks and it could be used in that scenario as well.  Most pumpheads, as long as you keep them submerged you can run them.

Here's another video showing another use for the pumphead style of setup (in the aquarium as opposed to running it dry.

Just from listening to this video gave me the idea to make a (date list)
of the days to do a water change on my 75 gal, which is something I
hardly do but I've got to get out of that & be more attentive on it.

But I've got a question to this, being I set up a every week W CHANGE 
& next month I'll be gone for a week, will that upset the tank at all ?

On 4/16/2023 at 6:57 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

But I've got a question to this, being I set up a every week W CHANGE 
& next month I'll be gone for a week, will that upset the tank at all ?

You might grow some algae, but no. The tank will be fine. Just fill it up for evaporation before you go.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Chick-In-Of-TheSea has one that was used for water changes.  I don't know if that is still in use to a few rogue bucket accidents.

The bucket accidents occurred when I did NOT use the pump. & they were dollar tree buckets that broke. Now it’s an ace hardware 2g bucket that fits nicely in the sink.

I had to measure tank height, faucet flow rate, and distance to tank before selecting a pump. I can share the vid on that if anyone is interested.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1