Baby Corydoras

smm333

So I purchased a school of 6 albino cories from a local hobbyist. I didn't see a picture, just a description of them as about 3 months old. They are super tiny!!!

My plans for feeding were sinking algae wafers, sinking bottomfeeder pellets, Hikari vibra bites, frozen bloodworms,  and Repashy community. I need to mix a batch of Repashy, so I dropped in some vibra bites for now. Are all these foods ok for these guys when they're so small? Anything I should add?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:53 PM, smm333 said:

My plans for feeding were sinking algae wafers, sinking bottomfeeder pellets, Hikari vibra bites, frozen bloodworms,  and Repashy community. I need to mix a batch of Repashy, so I dropped in some vibra bites for now. Are all these foods ok for these guys when they're so small? Anything I should add?

Nope, those are all perfect foods for your corydoras.  I fed repashy powder (~2-3 times per day) for the fry for the first 5-8 weeks.  Following that, they were moved and put in the main tank.  I feed them a mix of omnivore foods, pellets that are ~1mm or smaller, vibrabites, and xtreme flake foods.  Fluval has bug bites for bottom feeders that are on my list to try as well as Lennie's favorite NLS Algaemax.  I have recently added in Northfin Cichlid veggie 1mm pellets and they are doing really well with that food now as a staple.  They go nuts for it and really enjoy it.  Repashy super green / soilent green is probably the only thing I'd recommend adding next when you purchase food again.  They also enjoy bottom scratcher, which is very similar in ingredients to the fluval bug bites food.

If they corydoras are small I crush the food in my hand to break it down a little bit and then feed it.  Something like vibrabites I will essentially turn into a 0.5mm granule before feeding.  The goal being to just get them a food that is easy for them to eat.  Most foods are pretty big for them and difficult to eat, especially a lot of frozen bloodworms.  Some of the favorites for my corydoras are repashy (add just a little extra water to make it looser for them, usually a 3:1 ratio) as well as frozen spirulina brine shrimp.  When you have a good amount of corydoras, say 20+, then I tend to split up the repashy, wafers, and other foods into 2-3 sections so that groups of them can feed and smaller fish aren't too afraid to get a bite. 

One of my old favorites was the Sera O-Nip Spirulina tabs.  They were wonderful! The binder in the recipe has changed though and the food powderized a lot quicker.  This isn't bad for corydoras, but for whatever reason they don't tend to enjoy it when I purchased it last.  Hikari has the mini and standard size of wafers for them in a carnivore version and a veggie version (orange vs. green packaging), but I will caution you to simply be aware of the ingredients list and know what you're feeding.  Sometimes the label says veggie/algae, but it is mostly based on fish meal as a main ingredient.

I would encourage anyone with corydoras to find pellets/granules for them, something like the hikari discus Bio-Gold granules might be wonderful food for them!  There's a lot of different foods out there, but in my experience, just pay attention to what they have ease eating and feed that. 🙂

• Love 1

The 2 Cory fry that hatched in my 75 gal has grown to 1/2 size 
of the adults & they are doing fine from what I feed the tank 
shrimp pellets, algae wafers, freeze dried blood worms, along 
with flake food & freeze dried shrimp, I have this all crushed 
in a small clean peanut butter jar, & I also feed it uncrushed.

I feed every day I just switch from crushed to uncrushed every 
other day & everything gets to eat all day long once a day.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:20 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Nope, those are all perfect foods for your corydoras.  I fed repashy powder (~2-3 times per day) for the fry for the first 5-8 weeks.  Following that, they were moved and put in the main tank.  I feed them a mix of omnivore foods, pellets that are ~1mm or smaller, vibrabites, and xtreme flake foods.  Fluval has bug bites for bottom feeders that are on my list to try as well as Lennie's favorite NLS Algaemax.  I have recently added in Northfin Cichlid veggie 1mm pellets and they are doing really well with that food now as a staple.  They go nuts for it and really enjoy it.  Repashy super green / soilent green is probably the only thing I'd recommend adding next when you purchase food again.  They also enjoy bottom scratcher, which is very similar in ingredients to the fluval bug bites food.

If they corydoras are small I crush the food in my hand to break it down a little bit and then feed it.  Something like vibrabites I will essentially turn into a 0.5mm granule before feeding.  The goal being to just get them a food that is easy for them to eat.  Most foods are pretty big for them and difficult to eat, especially a lot of frozen bloodworms.  Some of the favorites for my corydoras are repashy (add just a little extra water to make it looser for them, usually a 3:1 ratio) as well as frozen spirulina brine shrimp.  When you have a good amount of corydoras, say 20+, then I tend to split up the repashy, wafers, and other foods into 2-3 sections so that groups of them can feed and smaller fish aren't too afraid to get a bite. 

One of my old favorites was the Sera O-Nip Spirulina tabs.  They were wonderful! The binder in the recipe has changed though and the food powderized a lot quicker.  This isn't bad for corydoras, but for whatever reason they don't tend to enjoy it when I purchased it last.  Hikari has the mini and standard size of wafers for them in a carnivore version and a veggie version (orange vs. green packaging), but I will caution you to simply be aware of the ingredients list and know what you're feeding.  Sometimes the label says veggie/algae, but it is mostly based on fish meal as a main ingredient.

I would encourage anyone with corydoras to find pellets/granules for them, something like the hikari discus Bio-Gold granules might be wonderful food for them!  There's a lot of different foods out there, but in my experience, just pay attention to what they have ease eating and feed that. 🙂

Thank you for all the detailed information! The cories are sharing a tank with 3 honey gourami and a male guppy. It's well established and I see them snuffling around a lot, but I haven't seen them eat what I dropped in yet. I gave vibra bites last night and saw they dissapeared,  but when I put some (broken up) this morning, I saw my gourami were eating them off the bottom. Definately will have to keep an eye on them to be sure they aren't out competed. I added the northfin cichlid veggie 1mm pellets to my chewy delivery. I'll peruse the food section next time I'm at my LFS to see if they have some of the other items you mentioned. 🙂

On 4/16/2023 at 7:12 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

The 2 Cory fry that hatched in my 75 gal has grown to 1/2 size 
of the adults & they are doing fine from what I feed the tank 
shrimp pellets, algae wafers, freeze dried blood worms, along 
with flake food & freeze dried shrimp, I have this all crushed 
in a small clean peanut butter jar, & I also feed it uncrushed.

I feed every day I just switch from crushed to uncrushed every 
other day & everything gets to eat all day long once a day.

I feed shrimp pellets and algae wafers for my mystery snails, so hopefully they will get a bit of those too!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/16/2023 at 3:59 AM, Pepere said:

They would also be very happy to find baby brine shrimp wriggling around in the tank…

From what I've heard, I think every fish would appreciate live brine. I just don't want to deal with hatching brine shrimps. I know my limits on how much I can handle and still enjoy the hobby! 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:37 PM, smm333 said:

From what I've heard, I think every fish would appreciate live brine. I just don't want to deal with hatching brine shrimps. I know my limits on how much I can handle and still enjoy the hobby! 😉

Oh I feel you. I also feed frozen baby brine. Got some frozen daphnia today. Used to feed bloodworms, but I quit after bloating issues.

Frozen food is super easy! Highly recommended if you have a chance to get it. 

On 4/16/2023 at 10:20 AM, Lennie said:

Oh I feel you. I also feed frozen baby brine. Got some frozen daphnia today. Used to feed bloodworms, but I quit after bloating issues.

Frozen food is super easy! Highly recommended if you have a chance to get it. 

I'll look for frozen baby brine or daphnea. I have bloodworms and my endlers, honey gourami and 1 of my 2 betta love them. The smell makes me gag, so I would love to find a different frozen food that we can all enjoy, lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, Nana Finopolis said:

I use a pepper grinder to get some foods smaller for fry or nano fish. Works wonders.

I use to do that too but when the bottle broke in my hands that was the end of that 
I got me something that does a faster better job & it works wonders on crushing food.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 9:15 PM, smm333 said:

I'll look for frozen baby brine or daphnea. I have bloodworms and my endlers, honey gourami and 1 of my 2 betta love them. The smell makes me gag, so I would love to find a different frozen food that we can all enjoy, lol!

Yea fish looove bloodworms. I used to love feeding it too. But yea, not anymore after losing one fish directly after feeding bloodworms due to bloating issue. No problem for years, and suddenly one dies. baby brine  and daphnia for the win :') I got my lesson.

• Like 1