Seachem Equilibrium or 1/2 Tap and 1/2 RO or Something Else

John Collins

Getty ready to reset a my 5G Betta Tank. Since moving here, I switched to Seachem Equilibrium, Acid Buffer, and Alkaline Buffer. My betta died today, so I went into the local pet store I went to the local pet store (independent) and asked what they did for their bettas. They told me they use a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Tap and RO water. I went home and tried that. The PH came in at 9.2, the KH at 1.5 to 2 degrees and the GH at 3 degrees (I double checked the tests because of the odd numbers). Should I follow the local pet stores advice or keep mixing. And if I should keep mixing, should I stick with the Seachem stuff or switch to something else?

On 4/14/2023 at 3:58 PM, John Collins said:

Getty ready to reset a my 5G Betta Tank. Since moving here, I switched to Seachem Equilibrium, Acid Buffer, and Alkaline Buffer. My betta died today, so I went into the local pet store I went to the local pet store (independent) and asked what they did for their bettas. They told me they use a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Tap and RO water. I went home and tried that. The PH came in at 9.2, the KH at 1.5 to 2 degrees and the GH at 3 degrees (I double checked the tests because of the odd numbers). Should I follow the local pet stores advice or keep mixing. And if I should keep mixing, should I stick with the Seachem stuff or switch to something else?

I do not use seachem, I just mix the ro water with tap water to get the right tds for my tanks.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:36 AM, Lennie said:

9.2 ph sounds a bit anormal. Are you sure it has read correctly? 
once tetra strips showed me 9.2 ph as well meanwhile it was only 8.0

I wondered that as well, but I'm using  the API master test kit, and it is reading correctly for the water that I'm mixing. (I.e. when I mix 7.0 water, I get 7.0 on the test.) Thanks for the suggestion though.

Based on a recommendation from @Mmiller2001 I do this:

CaSO4+2h2o (Calcium sulfate/Gypsum)
(4.2 dGH)
5gal water add 2.44 grams (30ppm)

MgSO4 (Epsom Salt)
(2.31dGH)
5gal water add 1.92 grams (10ppm)

K2CO3 (Potassium carbonate)
(1 dKH)
5gal water add 0.466 grams

Tested, after 4 hours mixing:
dGh 7
dKh 2
Ph 8.4
TDS 142ppm
Ca 80ppm

When this is added to my aquarium the PH always tests at 6.8, with UNS control soil substrate. I am sure that if you have an inert substrate that your Ph will be around 7.2 to 7.8

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1