My first Apisto fry 🥰

Awww, thats a shame about dear old dad. It's curious how different species care for or do not care for their young. I suppose in the fish world my Krib daddy wins dad of the year or something. hehe I feel for your Daddy Apisto, she has him stuck in a corner? Poor guy. Is she more social with him without fry? Is your tank a community tank? Sorry about the questions, I'm curious about Apisto's. Are they mean to Cory's?

edited: Did I see earlier in your post you have Panda Cory fry as well? 

Edited by Gamegurl
  • Thanks 1

@Gamegurl I have the trio in the tank alone. Not even shrimp or snails are allowed near where momma had her babies feeding at. This being the case I’m thinking corydora may not be a good choice as tankmates. 
Prior to him fertilizing the eggs she was very lovey dovey to dad. Same with the other girl. As soon as the eggs got fertilized he was ostracized. 
These are my first Apisto so I can’t really give credible suggestions other than what I have seen so far. 
Yes I do have a group of pandas that breed well. Fry show up all the time and my colony is getting a bit thick for the tank they are in. 

Older fry tackling grindal worms. Dad getting the shoo. 

On 4/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, Lennie said:

Adorable but,

Where will all these fry stay at aaaaaaaa 

😄

Piano snails are getting booted out of one of their 10g when mom loses interest. Then to auction and new homes. This house is a day care not a boarding school 🤣

• Haha 1

I seen what I considered an odd thing this morning but maybe it’s normal? @tolstoy21

Orb (momma #1) stole one of Olive’s (momma #2) babies. 
Olive tried to sto he but she torpedoed in swooped it up and ran back to spit it in her pile. The big ones are Orbs. This little thing belongs to Olive. ADFF27A9-AF4E-4EBA-BAF1-72178CC68649.jpeg.5c0f8566de793b0637e2ad74f0f657b6.jpeg
I counted Orbs babies half a dozen times. I kept getting numbers between 25-30. 
Olive has quite a cloud. I caught her just starting to move them to a new feeding spot. 

And cute photo dump. What proud granny wouldn’t. 🤣

B8442539-04FD-4C27-8830-D1FD3A3296D4.jpeg

54F8ECC3-ACDC-4E1A-96DA-6A21D5A518F7.jpeg

1A8E1596-A234-46C0-8772-BD91D4C06433.jpeg

E138F8E6-FCF3-4D60-8775-67127AC8742E.jpeg

9F9F8907-9AF0-4A16-BF02-B9F7D41128E2.jpeg

• Love 1

@Guppysnail I haven't witnessed one female kidnapping another female's fry, but I would imagine it's normal.

I've seen many a female relocate her fry back into the pack by sucking it up and spitting it out, but I have never had 2 females with fry in the same aquarium, so I haven't had the opportunity to see this first hand.  

What I have seen is a mother without babies eat another mother's kids. Why I don't typically keep females with fry together.

Oh and I love the coloration on that female. Many times I find that females with fry are more attractive than their male counterparts. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

I was so fascinated with bath time I did not see them swim back out until you pointed it out 🤣

@jwcarlson at what point do I need to remove the fry from the parent tank?  Or can I just let them in there and get them out to sell/ give to friends before they are sexually mature?

I'm not @jwcarlsonbut what will happen is she will be attentive for 4 to 8 weeks depending on a number of factors. At some point she will start ignoring them they will ignore her. She will then spawn again - at that point she will be hyper aggressive towards them; if you have a nice bushy plant near the top (I have floating hornworth mess) they can hide in that or whatever though over time she will kill a few. That is probably when you want to remove them if you wish. Make no mistake kribs are more robust and to a degree the parents are less aggressive towards the off springs of a previous generation than cockatoo so there is a greater chance of more being killed with cockatoo than with kribs.  Truth be told not only are kribs better parents (and you really don't have to add any food for the frys like cockatoo); they are true pairs with both male and female working together to guard the frys and territory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 12:34 PM, anewbie said:

they are true pairs with both male and female working together to guard the frys and territory.

Thanks for the info. I’m intimidated by kribs but you make them sound irresistible. Maybe I will do kribs as a future project. 

On 4/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks for the info. I’m intimidated by kribs but you make them sound irresistible. Maybe I will do kribs as a future project. 

Kribs are an incredibly easy fish to raise as long as your water is not too hard; some of the less common species do require softer waters (by nature they are a soft water fish); they also do better on a soft sandy substrate and if deep enough will happily dig a cave under a piece of drift wood or large rock. Because they are such good parents you need a source for their off spring as they will quickly over-run your aquarium. Generally speaking kribs are fairly inexpensive fish and your lfs might or might not take them (lower profit margin). They would make an excellent class room fish as their behavior is quite interesting and they are not skittish and kids love to watch frys. 

• Thanks 1

AS THE TANK TURNS….

ON A DIME EPISODE 🤣

Yesterday Orb was stealing Olives new babies and spitting them on her pile  I built a divider out of plants and driftwood so dad could still cross but the girls couldn’t see each other and had their own nursery

To clarify I originally bought a pair. The girl did not make it. We think she was hit by dad in the bag. The seller sent me 2 girls to replace and that is why I have a trio.
my goal is not to save as many babies as I can or anything. Just have a few babies survive each time and the adults not kill each other so it’s an enjoyable tank. 

Last night towards evening Orb was acting odd. Like she forgot about her babies. She was spending time cleaning her cave and milling about while the babies ran amuck all over her side of the tank.

This morning Dad was patrolling Olives side and watching her with her new babies  He acts different with her than with Orb  Olive also does not chase him away or do the defensive roll  he strolls the perimeter. Orb tried to come over  Olive confronted her head on  Dad shoved his body between them.  

Orb then ate the kidnapped babies and started chasing hers away  the babies were side rolling defensively and running.

All this I expected as everyone explained this is how it would happen  However these babies came out of the cave 2 weeks and 2 days ago  so this is happening much faster than I was ready for .

I swapped out a snail tank as a nursery and moved the older babies  Orb was attacking even feeding pipettes while guarding he babies.  Today she did not care that I was nabbing her babies. 

Orb is in full breeding colors flirting with dad.  Dad is in and out of her cave and swaggering at the front while she is inside.  He does not have his yellow crown spikes though. 

This is the video I was making this morning.  At the end I seen the fry roll and mom start attacking them  that’s when I started rescuing babies.  

1D5951DA-15C0-4B8B-9EAE-C00756F82BE8.jpeg

12DF47B1-8902-446E-93E2-72612B520512.jpeg

6484AEC4-DC1A-4A8A-84F7-6AE8C336470A.jpeg

4A29D73C-1ED1-444F-81FB-1E364F2B79E8.jpeg

1A85EB24-6D2C-4DC9-91EC-54CC405657E9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 7:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow, that is so crazy!  That would upset me.

P.S. first video, adorable snail @ 0:31. Don't think I didn't notice

Baby Spixii snail for hydra control. 
Im not upset. All is well in the kingdom now. Orb is too busy getting dad to spawn. Olive and her babies are doing their thing. It was just unexpected. 
See Orbs snoot poking out of the cave 

86C69B97-DACE-44C0-BF23-55EDE8561987.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AAAHHHHGGGG!

Olives babies are getting just big enough to spread out a bit. Sadly the water line evaporated down making the hob a waterfall with much more current. The babies were getting pushed and pulled into the uptake. 😭 I got there just in Time to see Olive frantically trying to save her babies and yanked the plug on the hob. She still has 4-5 but last night there were roughly 25-30

So I filled the tank added sponge to the outflow that reaches several inches into the water. Even if the water line drops the flow will just roll through the sponge. I also used one of my terra cotta pots to keep the fry away from the intake sponge. It’s a coop coarse and new hatch fry near a larger hob intake stand no chance. I do not think they would have fared better against a fine prefilter. They would have just suctioned onto that. 
Orbs first babies are doing great and I saw movement in her cave while she was out front eating.  I think I will have no baby shortage from these guys despite my ill planning and lack of attention to the water line. 
This tank looks more tragic by the day but each ugly change I make makes them happier so…suck it up buttercup 🤣

2BAC1906-2501-45B9-980C-942926D3830D.jpeg

I’m going to have tanks full of these soon. 
Batch one from Orb was yesterdays baby photos. Batch 2 from Olive has I believe 6 left from the low waterline incident. 
Irb left batch 3 out of the cave today. There are sooooo many 😲

I thought I was going to lose her and them yesterday. One of the big nerites plugged the cave opening shut forever. I intervened because no fresh oxygenated flow was going through. I ended up pushing the nerite in accidentally vs removing it. It all worked out though. 

• Love 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

Poor dad relegated to the back corner again. 

Sharing the destiny of my female betta 😄  Let them be friends! 

On 5/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m going to have tanks full of these soon. 
Batch one from Orb was yesterdays baby photos. Batch 2 from Olive has I believe 6 left from the low waterline incident. 
Irb left batch 3 out of the cave today. There are sooooo many 😲

I thought I was going to lose her and them yesterday. One of the big nerites plugged the cave opening shut forever. I intervened because no fresh oxygenated flow was going through. I ended up pushing the nerite in accidentally vs removing it. It all worked out though. 

I love how pretty the mom is. Such beauty

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:32 PM, Lennie said:

Sharing the destiny of my female betta

I know he seems so sad and bored. He was sitting staring at the back wall for awhile. Not lethargic just not his usual peacock “let me show you girls how handsome I am. I’ve got moves” self.  

On 4/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, Nana Finopolis said:

I've always been amazed that some fish are so into parental care while others eat their own fry or simply abandon them. Fascinating.

I learned that good parental care begets good parental care when I was breeding discus. Turned out it was infinitely healthier *for all parties involved* to let parents eat their young until they figured out the whole "parental care" thing.

Hand raised birds and hand raised discus (and I am sure other species as well) are much more likely to be good parents, after they see good parenting modeled for them.  

I mean, egg scatterers like salmon are never going to get the opportunity, but my WCMM are turning out to be far more protective of their fry than I expected, chasing my hand out of the tank if I attempt any maintenance.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Catching fish is my least favorite part of the whole hobby, so my answer was “whatever is easiest and takes the least amount of time”.

AMEN!!!!

• Like 2