My first Apisto fry 🥰

On 4/16/2023 at 11:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The parent is so proud and attentive.

She is. You don’t come on or near her side of the tank. I named her ORB. Because when you do she streaks and displays at you like a VERY angry Over Ripe Banana 

• Haha 4

On 4/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, Guppysnail said:

She is. You don’t come on or near her side of the tank. I named her ORB. Because when you do she streaks and displays at you like a VERY angry Over Ripe Banana 

I've always been amazed that some fish are so into parental care while others eat their own fry or simply abandon them. Fascinating.

• Like 1

I got to see mom just starting to tuck the babies in for the night. It was interesting as she took most in her mouth then spit them out prior to collecting them to spit in the cave for the night. Maybe a bath before bedtime?  Sorry for the sundown glare.

• Love 4

On 4/17/2023 at 8:27 AM, Guppysnail said:

I got to see mom just starting to tuck the babies in for the night. It was interesting as she took most in her mouth then spit them out prior to collecting them to spit in the cave for the night. Maybe a bath before bedtime?  Sorry for the sundown glare.

Oh man, she has her fins full with that bunch. If you watch they are swimming back out. They aren’t ready for bed yet! They want more play time. Typical kids. 

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2023 at 11:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh man, she has her fins full with that bunch. If you watch they are swimming back out. They aren’t ready for bed yet! They want more play time. Typical kids. 

I was so fascinated with bath time I did not see them swim back out until you pointed it out 🤣

@jwcarlson at what point do I need to remove the fry from the parent tank?  Or can I just let them in there and get them out to sell/ give to friends before they are sexually mature?

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

I was so fascinated with bath time I did not see them swim back out until you pointed it out 🤣

@jwcarlson at what point do I need to remove the fry from the parent tank?  Or can I just let them in there and get them out to sell/ give to friends before they are sexually mature?

I'll let you know when I get fry.  😂🤣😂

On 4/17/2023 at 10:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

They were thirsty. 

• Haha 2

Babies in their hydra playground. Mom seems to usher them to wherever my hydra are most active that day. I’m guessing because that’s where the microfauna is most active. 0B8A3785-607C-458C-84CB-086150025944.jpeg.55bfd1fb350aa0ff744173e72956b0d1.jpeg64BAB87F-0E5B-46B7-8D24-A3231365B743.jpeg.bd217e9cd7e81ee1a05c39d08d18bad8.jpeg

I think Olive the other girl has eggs in her cave. Her and Casanova were very friskie. Now she doesn’t leave the cave other than for quick bites. She also runs dad off and has taken to challenging ORB( mom) for the center of the tank. 
Poor Casanova. He gets chased to the corner no matter where he tries to be. He learned to eat worms from a pipette and coral feeder. I spread his meals out throughout the day to keep him from boredom. 9901B277-4939-4709-A670-1919F10FA504.jpeg.d101980ae04375a8e670ac17b7dbd18f.jpegF5AF2A09-D8F6-4CDE-BF56-E8AD1D6C86FC.jpeg.97f89c596502f89a2c53957b6684debd.jpeg

36F085E9-A8B1-43AE-9118-7D0573013AC1.jpeg

3D16B970-0869-4C83-8173-D8722339DD3E.jpeg

D08DB4C1-16AC-4D93-8E48-A944091128E8.jpeg

F69305CF-9941-4477-B42E-A3D39F905F1C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 4/17/2023 at 9:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

at what point do I need to remove the fry from the parent tank?  Or can I just let them in there and get them out to sell/ give to friends before they are sexually mature?

With my Kribs I tried both and both options worked equally as well. Doesn’t mean that will work with other species, or in your particular case, but either option worked in my experience. 

My Kribs bred like rabbits, to the point that I let a whole spawn grow up with the parents in the same tank to ward them off from breeding again. That worked, until it didn’t, and then mom and dad were fighting off an entire spawn of teenagers from the newest batch of the next generation. 

For me, it came down to “how much time do I want to spend catching fish out of this tank?”  Catching fish is my least favorite part of the whole hobby, so my answer was “whatever is easiest and takes the least amount of time”. Watching the parenting behavior is also amazing, so I would personally hold onto that as long as they’re displaying it. Then obviously have an exit plan to move the fish on to new tanks when needed and new homes when they’re old enough (which it sounds like you already have). 

Just my $0.02 from my experience with Kribs. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Catching fish is my least favorite part

This is me all day. I have a horde of panda fry/ juveniles that needed to go a month ago 🤣

Thank you for the advice. I’m just enjoying mom raising the babies and learning. I learned I was the cause of some fry getting nabbed by dad. I was turning lights down too quickly. That caused mom to rush back and forth trying to catch fry and spit in the cave. Dad nabbed a few unattended. Now I make sure all lights are out before the sun goes down. As the sun slowly sets mom ushers the whole group slowly to the cave. 
The learning each behavior is what I find best about the hobby. 
I think the other little girl has eggs in her cave. It’s very interesting to see her behavior change and how she went from being inoffensive to mom to now they are rivals at the tank center. 
I have several tanks for growing out and belong to 2 fish clubs. My first batch or two this will work well as an exit strategy. Once the clubs are saturated I do know a wholesaler who will take the extras.

• Like 2

Sweet! The babies look like my Kribensis babies. How old are yours? I can see tiny faces on them. Mine turned one month yesterday. I can tell the parents are wanting to breed again as they are getting all secretive again. If keeping the babies in can slow that down then I love that idea.

They are pigs are they not?! Mine would eat all day if I kept giving them food. I discovered they will sit and gnaw on pellets, I have some that are krill based and some plant based, if you haven't tried that do so. Keeps it much cleaner and you can watch them devour the pellets. Though seeing a fry dash about with a full brine shrimp in their mouth is funny as hell with Mom trying to steal it. hehe

On 4/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

This is me all day. I have a horde of panda fry/ juveniles that needed to go a month ago 🤣

Thank you for the advice. I’m just enjoying mom raising the babies and learning. I learned I was the cause of some fry getting nabbed by dad. I was turning lights down too quickly. That caused mom to rush back and forth trying to catch fry and spit in the cave. Dad nabbed a few unattended. Now I make sure all lights are out before the sun goes down. As the sun slowly sets mom ushers the whole group slowly to the cave. 
The learning each behavior is what I find best about the hobby. 
I think the other little girl has eggs in her cave. It’s very interesting to see her behavior change and how she went from being inoffensive to mom to now they are rivals at the tank center. 
I have several tanks for growing out and belong to 2 fish clubs. My first batch or two this will work well as an exit strategy. Once the clubs are saturated I do know a wholesaler who will take the extras.

Does Dad eat the babies? The Krib daddies scoop up the young but only to spit them back into the pack.

Edited by Gamegurl
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 6:41 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

With my Kribs I tried both and both options worked equally as well. Doesn’t mean that will work with other species, or in your particular case, but either option worked in my experience. 

My Kribs bred like rabbits, to the point that I let a whole spawn grow up with the parents in the same tank to ward them off from breeding again. That worked, until it didn’t, and then mom and dad were fighting off an entire spawn of teenagers from the newest batch of the next generation. 

For me, it came down to “how much time do I want to spend catching fish out of this tank?”  Catching fish is my least favorite part of the whole hobby, so my answer was “whatever is easiest and takes the least amount of time”. Watching the parenting behavior is also amazing, so I would personally hold onto that as long as they’re displaying it. Then obviously have an exit plan to move the fish on to new tanks when needed and new homes when they’re old enough (which it sounds like you already have). 

Just my $0.02 from my experience with Kribs. 

I have a tank ready to move the babies but if keeping them with Mom and Dad fends off a new breed I'm all for that. Mine had a huge batch, I cannot count them but would guess at least 50 probably more. Aiyeeee, what have I gotten myself into. lol!  The daddies colors are so amazing, if only my camera could really capture it. His top fin and tail have gone this neon orange color but he changes his color a lot.

• Like 1

@Gamegurl It was fun for me until I was overloaded with Kribs and flooded the market. I had those guys forever until my LFS sold through them and I was finally able to move the rest.

The Kribs are still haunting me to this day as even when I “got rid of everything” the pair left me one final spawn, in a cave so I couldn’t see it, and I still have 10 of them in my possession. I learned a lot from those Kribs

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2023 at 11:54 PM, Gamegurl said:

How old are yours?

Mom let them out of the cave April 14th. 

They are pigs are they not?! Mine would eat all day if I kept giving them food.

YES. I have no idea where they put it all. And they pick all day long. I feed granules and pellets, grindal and white worms and live BBS.  I’ve never been a flake food fan. 

Does Dad eat the babies

Yes. There is no spitting back out. He nabbed a few when I turned the lights out to quick. When mom got back from the cave to taxi her next batch of babies back to the cave she beat up on das a bit chasing back to his small corner he is allowed in. 

• Sad 1