Mystery Snail Breeding

Damo.Lo

Hey All

I Have 15 Mystery Snails that are about 6 Months old. what is the estimated age for mystery snails to reproduce?

I am feeding them like crazy, Cucumber, Algae Wafers, Hikari Sinking Wafers and Shrimp snow food. multiple times a day.

they have only laid 2 Clutches. what are ways to trigger mating as they don't seem to interested in each other 😂. the first clutch that the 15 where born from I didn't do any target feeding and the two wouldn't leave each other alone haha

Thank you.

With mystery snails it's more about size than age for being sexually mature. By 6 months tho they should be large enough. You aren't seeing much breeding behavior at all?  In my experience, when a male becomes sexually mature he's on a new female each time I look at the tank for like a week straight.  It really doesn't take much to get male mystery snails in the mood. 

One thing I do see lacking in your feeding is calcium. You have a good amount of protein which is excellent for egg production but not much in the way of calcium.  Cucumber has little to no nutritional value at all. I would try some no-salt added green beans or Hikari crab cuisine. The crab cuisine has a good amount of calcium and protein both. That's what I feed most of to my mystery snails. 

• Thanks 1

@Cinnebuns

thanks for the reply, my first two snails the male basically became the females backpack never left the girl alone… that’s why I’m so confused 😂 the only parameter that’s changed would be I lowered the temps to 75F about a month ago.. is this to cold? They are still very active. 

okay I’ll try supplement more calcium I feed the snow flakes a lot but might not be enough and literally as of today I’ve fed them green beans the ingredients listed is beans and water but has a sodium percentage of <5mg which I assume is naturally derived from the vegetable. 

I don’t know your crazy imperial system but they are about 1 inch 

B677B5AF-9C6E-4BBF-B7C1-794693198205.jpeg

965F6AB1-AA1E-4EBC-A21F-23214E9DD842.jpeg

When I received my first Mystery snails I was pleased to see one egg clutch, but picked it out of the tank as I wasn't ready for breeding.  I was confident more eggs would appear.  Imagine my despair when no eggs appeared for weeks!  I thought I had really messed up by not retaining that first batch.  Then for no reason I could discern egg batches started coming regularly and are still coming so often I'm backing to removing some.  All my tanks have snails so I have to cull to maintain a health population.   

I got a pair of ivory and black ones a few months ago, and the next day I had 3 clutches on my lid. Only 1 managed to not rot, and every once in a while I see some tiny ones crawling around. Mine seem to be always... coupling... after my feeding time for that tank, and almost every 3 weeks I find a small clutch. I keep the tank they are in around 78 or 79 F, as my heater seems to be unable to hold the temps 72-77.