Beta Feeding Schedule

Dave K

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of cycling a 5 gallon tank to house a beta.  It will be a little while yet before I add the fish.  I've asked two people about how much to feed them.  One person said give them pellets until they stop eating them.  Another person said 2 pellets every other day.  I know betas have small stomach and can get sick when over fed.  What are recommendations from who have kept betas?  Thanks.

I have a betta in a community tank and currently feed 2-3 pellets in the morning and crush up a large Community Crave flake for the whole tank in the evening (plus treat days and light/fasting days, so the standard feed schedule is 4 days a week). It might depend on what brand it is and how big the pellets, but with Xtreme betta pellets I think the recommended 2-3 2x per day, or maybe 4 1x per day?, should be fine. Honestly might depend on the fish but based on my guy I think "until he stops eating" would be too much. He loves to stuff himself and beg for more if I let him. I'm still new to this but I've gotten some good advice here and it's worked well so far.

• Like 1

Bee's advice is sound and close to what I do for my Betta, but mine's in a community tank with fast fish.  Apparently Bettas don't see well and I have to be sneaky so the others don't get all the food.  

I alternate pellets, flakes, and feed frozen (either Mysis or Bloodwooms 1 day per week).  Day after the frozen, I feed freeze dried Daphnia and they all fast the next day.  My thinking is the daphnia is supposed to support digestion and fasting the next day to hopefully clear their guts.  I'm still trying to decide if I'm feeding too much.  I may start having a second fasting day.  Good luck!