Taiwan Bees vs Tigers vs Yellow King Kong. Help 🦐

Lennie

Hey guys,

As I got away from the Idea of setting up an apisto breeding tank, I am considering to turn the new 10g tank into a heavily planted caridina shrimp tank.

I've kept orange sakuras and bloody marys.  But I have no experience with caridinas.

My ph from tap reads 8.0 but I have RO water as well as active substrate, cycled HOB, equilibrium etc. Basically everything needed.

So basically I wanna try some caridinas for the first time in the new 10g tank. But I can't be sure what to keep. 

I've talked to the breeder guy I get my shrimp from, and he said, Yellow King Kongs can get groups of deaths out of nowhere from time to time even under perfect conditions and parameters and without any valid reasons, and raising their babies can be a bit more challenging. So he adviced not to start with yellow king kongs as it be a bit disencouraging experience for some people. He said taiwan bees and tigers can be a better start considering I don't have any experience with caridinas. 

Has anyone have experience with caridinas? What would you suggest? Are yellow king kongs that hard to keep?

Also I use equilibrium in all of my tanks. Would it be enough as a gh booster or do I really need to buy Shrimp gh+ products for caridinas?

The caridinas I like the most by now are;

Ghost White Bee caridinas:

www.garnelen-bremen.de-Set 10 x White Bee / Ghost Bee Garnelen

Blue bolts:

Blue Bolt Shrimp - SoShrimp

Crystal reds:

Crs Kristal Kırmızı Arı Karides Red Bee 10 Adet

Bee pandas:

Taiwan Bee Panda - Panda Karides 1 Adet

Yellow King Kongs:

Berried yellow king kong shrimp. Can see the eyes in the eggs. Fun fact  they're caridina shrimp but super easy to keep and breed : r/shrimptank

Any suggestions are welcomed. 🙂

On 4/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, CrashBandit05 said:

What color is your substrate? I'd go with something that contrasts the substrate. I like the bee pandas color scheme best!

I always use Tropica aquasoil in my tanks. So it is black

Tropica Aquarium Soil 9L – Shrimp Fever

I think majority of shrimp goes better with black/dark susbtrate tbh. Otherwise they tend to have lighter colors than normal

Maybe not black roses 😄 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:19 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I personally think the Blue Tiger Orange Eyes are dooooope. 

He has those too! Here is some pics from his tanks:

BEEF700D-5E05-4EE8-A37F-A38EC943F2E1.jpeg.1918f03074491e6bde73c934a900df33.jpegC1CF1DBF-5A2C-4355-8687-FDDFA6BC64B5.jpeg.fa3fb31a46a13887df7ac83d32a7ade5.jpeg

they are cool but looking a lil creepy to me 😛 Tigers are actually a better choice since I they can go higher ph and I can cull to my community tanks, However, with a lil googling I found out that tigers become a bit sensitive to bacterial infections when the temp increases and in where I live temp increases during summer time no matter what I do. I don’t know how true that is. I can’t easily find someone with caridina experience >_>

• Love 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Marks shrimp tanks on YouTube has a plethora of Caridina videos. More than enough to get you started in the right food and have good success with them.

I like his videos already. Def gonna check more in detail 🙂 

• Like 1