“Green Corydoras” ID

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, picked up 4 of these today to add to a community tank, they were sold to me as “green cories” but I was hoping someone could positively identify the scientific name for me as there are so many different types of “green cories” out there. Ideally I would have liked 6 but I don’t want to increase the colony size until I’m sure which species they are, below are some photos, sorry I’m a poor photographer…

439AC363-73D9-42FB-98A9-72B77CA29E2D.jpeg.3485eaebe24c53af21c414a6dcf25d57.jpegBD316510-B539-41DC-A15F-EC57087E5030.jpeg.33e74efa2d61a01a1c3911c00db953fb.jpeg

• Love 1

This is where it gets hard, I was guessing Aeneus likes @Colu said but I’m not positive so I don’t know which ones to buy to increase the colony size, the guy said when I asked what they were “just regular green cories” but that was all the info I received at the time, I got them anyway bc who doesn’t love a good mystery, would love to source some more but want to get the same species 

On 4/11/2023 at 2:13 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

This is where it gets hard, I was guessing Aeneus likes @Colu said but I’m not positive so I don’t know which ones to buy to increase the colony size, the guy said when I asked what they were “just regular green cories” but that was all the info I received at the time, I got them anyway bc who doesn’t love a good mystery, would love to source some more but want to get the same species 

They seem like adults or soon to reach sexual maturity, If I were you, I would try to breed them instead of buying new ones. Do you have males?

On 4/11/2023 at 2:19 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

@Lennie I’m honestly not sure 

Can you share pic of the 4 together sometime? Males are considerably smaller in size in my experience, especially next to females. And females have more round bellies/bodies

Edited by Lennie

On 4/11/2023 at 3:28 AM, Pepere said:

Here are pictures of my Emerald Green Cories.  Corydora splendens. 

These are juveniles maybe 4 months old.image.jpg.6f6cd0cc310f9a4099df920b060a607d.jpgimage.jpg.fdcf9554dd295db033fd6a5b4adf5934.jpg

They are adorable. Hard to say for now exactly but I am leaning towards 2 m and 2 f. Just a guess

On 4/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Corydoras aenus are sometimes called green cories. Common names are annoying but if the distributor is to be trusted its probably Corydoras aenus.

It's kind of ridiculous how many things are forms of or labelled as aenus corydoras.

There's so much confusion and it's really difficult to get the "right one".

@CJs Aquatics

This came up I want to say 2 months back and it was almost the same situation. One thing that's frustrating from my side is that the two corydoras that get confused are often very different sizes in the end. Emerald green vs. bronze corydoras.

Bronze corydoras:

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=51

2(9).jpg.b2fbf2e30adb834b5e28e85b52d8d265.jpg

Emerald green:

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=114

2(6).jpg.18571692051466a9eec7fe0134106633.jpg

You can see it in Pepere's photos as well as yours there is a. Iridescent green along the bottom of the body. Keep an eye on how they develop and color up.

From what I have seen the emerald greens get a bit chunkier and taller compared to others. They are bigger bodied and taller.  The dorsal ok the emeralds looks to be a little bit larger as well, but there is a variety of photos on the planet catfish site for each species.

I'd also review this one. "Green gold corydoras"

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=111

On 4/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, Pepere said:

Here are pictures of my Emerald Green Cories.  Corydora splendens. 

Can you show the adults please! The fry on PC are pretty unique looking. Very interesting journey some corydoras take from fry to adult.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely Corydoras aeneus AKA bronze cory AKA green cory.  Once you know about the dorsal fin rays and see them a couple times it becomes more obvious as your eye gets more practiced at seeing the difference.  C. splendens AKA emerald cory, has a notably longer dorsal fin and to me a slightly longer, straighter nose plus proportionately give the effect of a bigger head in relation to their bodies.  They both have enough natural variation in base color to make it not reliable in telling them apart.  If you ever get the chance to see them side by side (not necessarily in the same tank, just the same day), the differences will become more obvious.  They “hold themselves” a bit differently, like 2 people the same height and hair color, similar faces and builds, but they move differently - if that makes sense.

C. aeneus tend to breed very easily, but C. splendens tend to not breed quite so easily from what I’ve read, but they are still cories and couldn’t really be called difficult to breed from what I understand.  I’ve bred plenty of aeneus but haven’t had splendens in years and have never tried to breed them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, Pepere said:

Oh heck, this is the third time in April I come home to a bunch of eggs on the glass from my C. splendens…

And the one time I put a bunch of eggs in a breeder box I had close to a hundred survive to 4 months before I managed to get them rehomed…

Breeding has been no problem whatsoever, and I dont do anything to get them to spawn… I feed once a day and rather little… lots of plants growing healthily and 50% water change a week…. Thats it…

I’m only going off what I’ve read and in comparison to aeneus which are the rabbits of the fish world when it comes to breeding.  😆   Good to know your splendens are easy breeders, too.  😂 🤣 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, Pepere said:

Oh heck, this is the third time in April I come home to a bunch of eggs on the glass from my C. splendens…

And the one time I put a bunch of eggs in a breeder box I had close to a hundred survive to 4 months before I managed to get them rehomed…

Breeding has been no problem whatsoever, and I dont do anything to get them to spawn… I feed once a day and rather little… lots of plants growing healthily and 50% water change a week…. Thats it…

Water parameters? Water parameters make a difference between easy to breed and hard to breed; softer water is always a winner with sa fishes.

• Like 1