HDX 55 Gallon tote for fry growout?

Minanora

Has anyone used one of the 55G totes from Home Desperate for fish? I'm thinking about using the one I have as a chick brooder for growing out some fry. My thought is to make a brace for the middle of the tote so it won't bow out and put about 40G in it. Thoughts? Experiences with this size tote?

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Minanora said:

Has anyone used one of the 55G totes from Home Desperate for fish? I'm thinking about using the one I have as a chick brooder for growing out some fry. My thought is to make a brace for the middle of the tote so it won't bow out and put about 40G in it. Thoughts? Experiences with this size tote?

I use smaller Sterilite containers for raising Killifish fry, Betta fry, etc. It all depends on how many and what species you're working with. Some things to consider:

(1) Make sure that the container is food grade. This is a helpful checklist.

(2) You really want your surface area to be much larger than your water depth. It is much healthier to raise fry in a space that is 6-inches high, but 20" x 16" rectangle than raising the same in a space that is 12" deep but the surface only 10" x 14." In other words, raise your fry in an over sized brownie-shaped space rather than in a bucket.

(3) Use air. Air is your friend. Lots of friendly air. Not too fast. But not too little either.

(4) Use a small pre-cycled sponge filter. This will be your source of autotrophic bacteria colony, plus . . . did I mention . . . air is good?

(5) You will inevitably struggle with heterotrophic bacteria. That's the kind that clouds up your water. The only successful way through that is . . . wait for it . . . air! And PRIME to nullify ammonia build up.

(6) Use Java moss. Java moss is also your friend. Lots of Java moss . . .

(I digress)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

I use smaller Sterilite containers for raising Killifish fry, Betta fry, etc. It all depends on how many and what species you're working with. Some things to consider:

(1) Make sure that the container is food grade. This is a helpful checklist.

(2) You really want your surface area to be much larger than your water depth. It is much healthier to raise fry in a space that is 6-inches high, but 20" x 16" rectangle than raising the same in a space that is 12" deep but the surface only 10" x 14." In other words, raise your fry in an over sized brownie-shaped space rather than in a bucket.

(3) Use air. Air is your friend. Lots of friendly air. Not too fast. But not too little either.

(4) Use a small pre-cycled sponge filter. This will be your source of autotrophic bacteria colony, plus . . . did I mention . . . air is good?

(5) You will inevitably struggle with heterotrophic bacteria. That's the kind that clouds up your water. The only successful way through that is . . . wait for it . . . air! And PRIME to nullify ammonia build up.

(6) Use Java moss. Java moss is also your friend. Lots of Java moss . . .

(I digress)

Thank you for your input, Sir.

A lot of good points here! I'd considered all of them aside from the water depth and actually looking at the type of plastic used for the body of the tote itself. So thank you very much!

I have lots of extra sponge hanging out just for this project. I have two extra co-op sponge filters. I'm going to keep the tote on the cooler side, probably 72-74 degrees, but with two sponge filters running; spaced evenly in the tote. The fry going in are pretty big already; one month old and two month old guppy fry and swordtail fry. I just need to move them so they don't breed back to the parents of each line. I am short on space... too much going on to work on my fishroom project.

I'll keep the water level lower, move a bunch of my extra moss and all of my cuttings into the tote. Our water is great for livebearers and I've been breeding for a good while, just... running out of space... A general reality of livebearers.

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Yeah, this tote will stay in my unfinished "fish-she-shed" while I finish up other projects. Should honestly have all of them sold by next month anyway. Totally wouldn't put a black tote outside in our yard right now with a low water level, it was 84 here today. My soil temp is already staying in the low/mid 60s over night! I just want to keep growing them out without them making MORE babies with my females that I'm letting empty. Gotta keep moving forward, if they get pregnant now, it'll be another 6 months of babies I don't want! I'm already 3 months through their stored wares. 🙂

I used the 55g tote for betta fry, I had no issues with them but the tote needs a brace. I used a home depot ratcheting strap in the middle. You might be better off searching local Craigslist or fb marketplace for a good used tank for a similar if not cheaper than the tote.

Edited by helepolis