I'm excited to join my very first forum.  Most of you are probably too young to remember "Flipper" the Bottlenose Dolphin from TV, but I chose her for my forum name.

I have a 20 gallon with Blue, my female betta, 4 Harlequin Rasboras20221128_192459.jpg.ed15d09f46a925405c62cfff3565aa1e.jpg, 3 Rummy-Nose Tetras and Bashful, my dwarf Clown Pleco.  My 8 gallon is under construction after losing my male Betta to disease.  I started from scratch and the tank is now cycling. 

I'm a middle-aged lady, retired and loving life.  I've been in the hobby about 5 years and look forward to sharing with all of you.  I love my fish and this hobby.  Happy to be here!

Edited by Flipper
changed images
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Thanks sincerely for all the warm Welcomes!  😊

I'm from the DFW area and happy to see fellow Texans on here (plus the folks from everywhere else).  This is an active forum (my first one) and I anticipate great entertainment and adding to my on-going knowledge of our fine hobby. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:07 PM, BeeGryphon said:

Welcome! I love your tank and your betta is gorgeous!

(I'm also from Texas originally 😁)

My plants are ever changing.  I don't have any luck with stem plants whaaa!  😕  Still learning.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 3:55 PM, PearlTheBetta said:

JettsPapa, I'm from that area of Texas. Magnolia. I remember when they started building High Meadow Ranch subdivision. 

Welcome to the forum! Your rummy noses look amazing! I keep exclusively female bettas. I own a male right now, but I didn't purchase him. 

I just went through Magnolia a few weeks ago taking some plants to the Fish Gallery in the Woodlands.  I live between Navasota and Hempstead.

• 4 weeks later...

@RoyaleButterfly Thanks!  I'll be honest about my Bettas, I've had 3 in 4 years.  I did everything I could to keep the water clean and parameters within the norms, but the 1st 2 Bettas didn't live past 1 1/2 years.  I'm hoping my current fish, Blue, will live longer. 🙏 The guy at my local fish store said they are usually 1 or 2 years old already when we buy them.  Not sure if that's true or not. 

I wish I could find a juvenile Betta.  I'm going to reach out to the community to see what they think.  In my experience, Bettas are the only fish that are so smart (of the species I've raised), each with their own personality, come to the glass to greet me and will follow my finger. I believe my Betta loves me, while the other fish remain skittish and avoid me, except at feeding time.

If you decide to get a Betta, do your research.  They are incredible fish to me.

@Flipper, you are absolutely right on about your response to @RoyaleButterfly. Betta are wonderful fish but are often not long lived. Part of it may be breeding as most of the time they are bred for looks and not longevity. Super long fins were a big trend for a long time, IMO, to the detriment of the species. Now it's about pattern and color, which while shorter fins seem to be better for them (less fin rot/injury) this trend again may be more for look than health. Sadly too, they sell Betta older because these colors/patterns are what attract most buyers to keeping a Betta and babies/juveniles don't have the looks yet and will change over time. I've seen juveniles at the big box store and at times through LFS but the best place to get them is from someone who breeds them locally to you. You would have them a lot longer, but no guarantee what you are getting (other than what the potential pattern the breeder was going for) in their looks. I'm personally just fine with that, other people aren't. 

Betta are much harder to keep than the industry makes a person believe, and you get attached to them because of their wonderful, very individual personalities. Research is something I very HIGHLY recommend before even considering one. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Flipper, you are absolutely right on about your response to @RoyaleButterfly. Betta are wonderful fish but are often not long lived. Part of it may be breeding as most of the time they are bred for looks and not longevity. Super long fins were a big trend for a long time, IMO, to the detriment of the species. Now it's about pattern and color, which while shorter fins seem to be better for them (less fin rot/injury) this trend again may be more for look than health. Sadly too, they sell Betta older because these colors/patterns are what attract most buyers to keeping a Betta and babies/juveniles don't have the looks yet and will change over time. I've seen juveniles at the big box store and at times through LFS but the best place to get them is from someone who breeds them locally to you. You would have them a lot longer, but no guarantee what you are getting (other than what the potential pattern the breeder was going for) in their looks. I'm personally just fine with that, other people aren't. 

Betta are much harder to keep than the industry makes a person believe, and you get attached to them because of their wonderful, very individual personalities. Research is something I very HIGHLY recommend before even considering one. 

@xXInkedPhoenixX @RoyaleButterfly

Thanks for your thoughtful input, Phoenix, I agree about not caring about what a juvenile looks like when he grows up.  A human parent will love his ugly child just as much as a pretty one.  😍

• Like 1
  • Love 1