How to tell if it's time to humanely euthanize

mkeyz

My Bettas mass has gotten bigger and I'm starting to wonder if he is in pain, if he is suffering, etc. He doesn't swim around as much anymore, he doesn't eat as much as he used to, and sometimes he struggles to get to the top for food or air. I put the floating plant you see in one of the pictures in to help him to stay close to top and nows that's where he spends pretty much his whole day. Everyone keeps telling me to try different and more meds but tbh before this last round of meds he was more active and stuff now after last round of meds not so much. He just finished his treatment of melafix as that is one of the treatments I can across to try for him. Now his mass looks like in the other pic where he isn't in the floating plant. Anyone have suggestions or opinions I am open to hearing them all. If it the end it is time for the peaceful sleep I will accept that decision even tho it will break my heart. I just don't want to watch him suffer if that's what is happening now

PXL_20230410_162946985.MP.jpg

PXL_20230410_132333601.MP.jpg

My 1st day on the forum so I hate to chime in, but, I recently lost my beloved male Betta, Sparky.  Here's his story so you can compare.

I used 3 meds, first Melafix, then week 2, I used Metroplex and lastly, Kanaplex.  Kanaplex has always cured fin rot for me, but I didn't know exactly what was wrong with my fish.  He continued to eat the whole time, but that was the only time he moved at all.  After one month with no improvement, I decided it was time.  He just stayed in one corner, at the top, and rarely moved.  I could tell he felt really bad. I used the clove oil method and he passed peacefully.  I would never suggest euthanasia.  It's a hard thing to do and he's your baby.  I considered my Betta's condition for a good while but finally did what I thought was best for him. Your fish looks pretty bad. Have you treated for fungus?  I hope you will find someone who is familiar with his condition and that they can help you.  Bless your heart, we try so hard for our finned friends, but there are circumstances beyond our control. 

• Like 1

I've tried this melafix, I tried indian almond leaves, I've tried methalyne blue, I tried the fin rot medicine. It just keeps getting worse. These are the picture progression from day one to current. Im just so sad😭

PXL_20230110_032305895.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20230122_180123862.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20230121_092259384.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20230410_132333601.MP.jpg

PXL_20230216_214508977.jpg

PXL_20230107_194226516.jpg

PXL_20221230_172151897.jpg

Update he has refused to eat for 2 days now and I've offered many varieties of foods, more chucks have fallen from his mass leaving open wounds, and he is barely moving. I have made the decision to end his suffering and he will crossing the rainbow bridge tomorrow. Unfortunately I am such a an emotional wreck I had to leave college early today due to constant crying. Thank you guys for your support and kind words. He has been fighting the good fight with this growing mass since around the end of last year and no treatments have helped sadly. I asked him the other day to give me a sign if it was time and the next day(yesterday) he had spit out the food in the morning and then pushed his food away when it landed right next to his mouth at night and today he won't even go near any of the food no matter what different foods i tried. He has held on as long as his little body could now it's time for him to rest. I still have my tetras and snails I will probably add some more tetras since they are schooling fish and would probably benefit from more than just six in the tank. (Only had six due to my Betta). But I don't think I will get another Betta unless it's like a rescue situation. Hopefully everyone else's week is going better than mine.

• Sad 4