Baby Shrimp

Jimmy Cleveland

On 4/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, Jimmy Cleveland said:

New baby shrimp this is the 2ed time in probably 30 days or so I need to start writing stuff down. Maybe one more birth and I can start culling for color they are so small.. my substrate doesn't help there color 

I wouldn't recommend culling for color until they approach maturity.  Some color strains, especially red, don't get their full color until then.

What? Newbie shrimp keeper here. I bought 10 blue dream (amazon) received 12. 4 died the first week. it is day 63. Quick count, over 100 shrimp (that I can see).

Is this normal?

I have a 10gal shrimp only, covered, planted tank, 2 snails, no heater (70 degree) HOB filter, air stone, gravel substrate, driftwood, almond leaves, PH 6.8 (wood lowered? 7.4 at tap) water hardness 300. I feed Xtreme Krill flake, because that is what I had. 

I am thinking all XXXX will break loose when the babies reach breading age. I think I only have 3 adult females now.

20230410_150048.jpg

• Like 2

Better then me I got 5 cherry about 60 days ago think i only have about 15 now with one birth these are the 2ed birth got them from a lfs. No loss's ph 7.6 hardness is high plants gravel lil bit of moped wood and some of that one wood with the holes in it cactus I believe. It's a 15g tank hob I have to find some leafs no where has them I'll have to order some. Even with the babies I probably only have in the same time 20 to 30. Tank was set up for around a year or more before I put them in. Oh one mystery snail lives in there with them

On 4/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Roger C said:

What? Newbie shrimp keeper here. I bought 10 blue dream (amazon) received 12. 4 died the first week. it is day 63. Quick count, over 100 shrimp (that I can see).

Is this normal?

I have a 10gal shrimp only, covered, planted tank, 2 snails, no heater (70 degree) HOB filter, air stone, gravel substrate, driftwood, almond leaves, PH 6.8 (wood lowered? 7.4 at tap) water hardness 300. I feed Xtreme Krill flake, because that is what I had. 

I am thinking all XXXX will break loose when the babies reach breading age. I think I only have 3 adult females now.

Yes, it's normal if they like your water conditions.  First, a tank will hold a surprising number of shrimp.  A few months ago I took 70 out of the 5.5 gallon tank on my desk at work, and didn't seem to make a serious dent in the population.

I've seen reports that when the population reaches a certain level it will self regulate (they will stop breeding), but I always sell the excess before it gets to that point.

• Like 1