Peppered cory temps

Brucethebetta

I have a platy tank that I added some peppered corys in, but I didnt know they like it cooler than most other cories. I know platys have no issue with cool water, so I was going to run the tank at 74-75, but Ive seen others say that peppered shouldnt go over 72. Will 75 harm their lifespan potential in the long run? 

Hello @Brucethebetta,

I personally would not worry much. Also in aquaticarts their temp needs are mentioned as 72° - 79° F (22° - 25° C). The difference between 72 and 75 is not really high. I think it may trigger their spawning behavior more and that's it. 

I keep my sterbais in my rams tank, and they live in 27C/80F and they are in the spawning mood much more than when I kept them 25C, however I have not observed any negative effect myself.

On 4/9/2023 at 7:04 AM, Brucethebetta said:

so I was going to run the tank at 74-75, but Ive seen others say that peppered shouldnt go over 72.

I think below 74 is probably fine for most / all corydoras.  during the summers my fish are at 76-78 range and there's basically nothing I can do to stop that.  It gives the tanks seasons, so to speak, but when I run heaters I keep the tank at 72-74 as a base.  If the heater is set to 74 it could be 2 degrees cooler or warmer based on what heater you have and it's accuracy (and calibration). 

For my Paley only tank I keep them at 74 degrees. And the Paley's I keep in my killifish tank is set at 76 degrees. They have been kept at those temps for more than a year. All is well and happy. I have had spawning at both temps so I think where you are set is a good spot.

• Like 1