Coop Freeze Dried Tubifex Cubes

Brandon

I have multiple well seasoned tanks.
They all have recently begun to smell terrible. The only change of note (as far as I can determine) is the addition of Coop Freeze Dried Tubifex Cubes to the mix.

Could this food be the culprit in the new odor (never feed Tubifex before)?

my fish and shrimp devour them!

8CFDB40B-77B6-4807-88C9-A9087CF5A7E3.jpeg

It's possible.  I don't have the ACO tubifex, but I do have tubifex (freeze dried as well) and it's exceedingly easy to overfeed.  Especially if your inhabitants are mostly bottom feeders because in my experience it all wants to float and it wants to float BADLY... like it can't wait to jump off the glass.  I feed about 1/4 of a cube to a tank and that usually feels like too much because there's a lot of mess with it.  I was having good luck taking a piece of gravel out and pressing it around the little rock and then dropping it in that way so the corys could get some.  

How much and how often are you feeding it?  What tank is it in?  Size and stocking, I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Omega one ones and my water smells funny after feeding tubifex too. I don’t face anything similar with bloodworms, brine shrimp or baby brine. 
So I don’t know why but I have the same experience with you

Edited by Lennie
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

@Lennie I seen your response & was just wondering what your trying to say cause I use 
tubifex, & blood worms along with brine shrimp, " I don’t face anything similar with
bloodworms, brine shrimp or baby brine" 

The water smells bad for a day or two after I feed tubifex worms. Like feeding broccoli to snails >_>

On 4/9/2023 at 7:48 AM, Lennie said:

The water smells bad for a day or two after I feed tubifex worms. Like feeding broccoli to snails >_>

Oh wow the brand I use doesn't Thank God, but I bought like 6 containers of it 
from ebay for a good price so I will be a good while B-4 I run dry if anything 
mine just clouds up every now & then, & with the filters they clear it up.

I use green beans for the snails they don't smell you ought to try them instead.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:58 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Oh wow the brand I use doesn't Thank God, but I bought like 6 containers of it 
from ebay for a good price so I will be a good while B-4 I run dry if anything 
mine just clouds up every now & then, & with the filters they clear it up.

I use green beans for the snails they don't smell you ought to try them instead.

I tried everything literally for my snails 😄 They hate peas. 

They like collard greens, carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, green beans the most. Other veggies, not so much. Spinach meh. Peas, broccoli, sweet potatos, cucumber nope. 

My fish don't really enjoy eating from surface, and they never eat from glass. So I literally mix tubifex a lot before feeding it, literally making it a soup lol. Probably that's why.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, Lennie said:

I tried everything literally for my snails 😄 They hate peas. 

They like collard greens, carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, green beans the most. Other veggies, not so much. Spinach meh. Peas, broccoli, sweet potatos, cucumber nope. 

My fish don't really enjoy eating from surface, and they never eat from glass. So I literally mix tubifex a lot before feeding it, literally making it a soup lol. Probably that's why.

yea they love green beans, I found that out when I was trying to 
figure out how to catch the pest snails & after 3-4 days I got 
most of them with the green beans, glad I have a bunch of it.

• Administrators

In my experience, when people mention bad smelling aquariums when parameters and everything else seems right. The most common cause is some food in the rim of a tank. It only takes 1 or 2 pellets, flake, etc in the rim, to get wet and and smell like absolute death. Take a wet paper towel around the rims of your aquariums and see if that helps.

• Administrators
On 4/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

@Cory has anyone reported that the ACO tubifex are magically easy to squish until they sink? My finger soreness has declined substantially. I bet Eric Bodrock would love them.

I haven't seen that yet, to be fair I didn't realize that was a problem that existed 😛

I just got some of the coop tubifex, but have been using the freeze dried cubes for years. I don't notice any difference in how dense the cubes are or anything else. But, to feed my catfish and other bottom dwellers, I take a cube and hold it under water, and squeeze it, to get all if the air out of it, then you can take it out of the water and then squeeze the water out between your fingers. Once you have done that you can roll it into a ball and drop into the tank and it will sinkj to the bottom for the corydoras and others to enjoy.