3D printing for the Co-Op Power Head

Maximus

I picked up a power head from the shop yesterday and am really enjoying it's utility. I've already got a system set up so it can pump directly into the garden when I do a water change, and now I'd like to experiment with water current. The product is great, but it does lack an adjustment for flow rate as well as direction. I'd like to add a tip to the output nozzle, and am wondering if anyone here has done it or had the same idea. I've seen how people add a mini pre filter to the output to slow things down, but I'd like to take things a step (or two) further.

• Like 1

I love the ACO Powerhead!

You ought to be able to build something to meet your needs. If I recall, the powerhead fit neatly inside a 1/2 inch PVC tube. That could help set a baseline diameter. At Conservation Fisheries in Knoxville, they use a heat gun to squeeze their water flow nozzles into narrow attachments that spray more forcefully. For my part, I like building Spraybars that create an in line laminar flow from either the back or the side.

• Like 1

I took the coop powerhead with me to home depot and played around with the pvc and pex to find the right size. I used some of the pvc tubing along with an Eheim spray bar on my UGF in my 60 g. Ugly but highly effective. Lots of uses. I used a marine land adapter with a venturi attachment and some plumbers tape to add more air to one of my tanks using the coops powerhead. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 6:22 PM, Maximus said:

@Tommy Vercetti that looks like a scorpion tail! Neat.

I'm currently twiddling my thumbs until my Prusa MK4 gets delivered (might be July, at this point), trying to come up with a decent version 1 for the tip.

I am currently working on a jet lift for 3/4" PVCUntitled.png.e6d18760b85ddaee82d4e1ae59788123.png

it is printing right now, should be done in about 45 minutes.

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:13 AM, jasper5150 said:

I have been wanting to print things for my tanks but need to familiarize myself with the CAD programs. It’s all foreign to me. Will usually find files online and print those

I am in the same boat as you. I am learning fusion 360 but wow it is a steep learning curve. The parts above where made in Tinker CAD, which is easy to use but has so many limitations.

• Like 1