guppies pecking at angelfish, please help!

Rose_Lu

I've had my angelfish for almost 3 years now in a 55g with guppies, 6 congo tetras, and an SAE. My angel never attacks anything in the tank and nothing attacks her but yesterday I noticed the guppies started pecking her non stop.
She doesn't act or look sick at all (though it's a little hard to tell bc she's mostly white to begin with). I panicked and she's been in a 10g (with fresh aquarium salt and stress coat) just to get her away from the pecking.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to stop this??

On 4/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, Rose_Lu said:

I've had my angelfish for almost 3 years now in a 55g with guppies, 6 congo tetras, and an SAE. My angel never attacks anything in the tank and nothing attacks her but yesterday I noticed the guppies started pecking her non stop.
She doesn't act or look sick at all (though it's a little hard to tell bc she's mostly white to begin with). I panicked and she's been in a 10g (with fresh aquarium salt and stress coat) just to get her away from the pecking.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to stop this??

Guppies usually start pecking to assert dominance or curious. I recommend taking the guppies out since either way guppies and angels live in totally different water parameters. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:06 PM, DiscusLover said:

Guppies usually start pecking to assert dominance or curious. I recommend taking the guppies out since either way guppies and angels live in totally different water parameters. 

Thank you for the advice, I'm thinking about moving the guppies out later today.
I never thought having angels and guppies together would be bad since my parents have had tanks with both in them for years and all the fish lived long and healthy lives, the guppies had countless generations and the angels always had eggs somewhere. I probably wont put the two together again after this.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can only think plants or some sort of cover would help.  Angels might be pretty timid in terms of activity compared to guppies.  Maybe the guppies grew in size and then got a bit bolder?

Thank you so much for the advice! Though my tank is already pretty planted as is, I've already given her a couple sections and I'm afraid adding any more plants would just squish all the fish even closer. As for the guppy size thing, she's been with every size guppy since she was small and these current guppies are like my... 9th generation(? honestly I've lost track after these few years) and they've never done anything like this. It seems like every size is pecking at her too, from practically newborn to my oldest. Males and females equally too. : ( I'm probably just gonna try rehoming all the guppies I can catch.

On 4/9/2023 at 11:04 AM, Rose_Lu said:

Thank you for the advice, I'm thinking about moving the guppies out later today.
I never thought having angels and guppies together would be bad since my parents have had tanks with both in them for years and all the fish lived long and healthy lives, the guppies had countless generations and the angels always had eggs somewhere. I probably wont put the two together again after this.

Fish really do have characters! You angel seems the be angelic, but guppies are the opposite it seems 😄 You never know what will do great really unless you try it. For sure in this scenario, it seems unlikely to see such issue and most people would assume adult angel eating male guppies and fry. Seems like in your tank, guppies turned the tables on angels. 

Seperating them sounds like a good idea if you love the angel more. Hope she finds more peace when the bullies are gone :') 

cheers,