Red Parrot fish inflamed gills please help

AquaAries

I noticed her acting off yesterday, breathing faster than my other parrot and hanging low.  Well established tank, 300 gallons, have had in place for a year.  I use Co-Op strips often.  recently bought a new jar and i was alarmed when the strip I used to test this tank yesterday was bright pink for Nitrate.  This is side issue to be addressed but please see the images below.  Both strips were dipped into this tank at same time today.  The one on the left is the new vial and on the right is from the old vial that I still had some of.  Based on what I was getting yesterday with this new vial I did pretty significant water change and was dumbfounded when I could not get the nitrate down. somethign is obviously wrong with my new vial.   I am worried I added to her issue by stressing her with to much of a water change.   Anyway please help me with my girl.  

Yesterday significant water change, over 50 % I am sure.  Due to size of tank ( and on a sump) I syphon water out with pump and add in fresh at same time.  I added salt per API salt container instructions because I could not see any clear signs of something specific to treat and thought she could  use some electrolytes .  I have a UV sterilizer on this tank also and no new stock added to this tank for about 2 months.   This morning her color was back and I thought I was out of the woods.  Now she is hanging out at top of tank in the corner.  I don't know what to do.  All other fish very healthy , active.  The other Parrot fish is also doing very well.

I Have a hospital tank all set up.  I have meds.  I just don't know what i am treating for and don't want to stress her by moving her without a plan. Please help if you can.  

IMG_7722.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

Edited by AquaAries
added in image of fish

I see that the way this posted it shows the two vials of strips top and bottom ( vs left and right) .  The top vial is my brand new vial and the bottom was my older vial.  I have a fish room downstairs and also keep tanks upstairs which is why I still had a vial upstairs.  So glad I thought to check the strips!  For clarification strips shown in the images were dipped in same tank at the exact same time.  Yesterday I was trying to fix the results of what I was getting with that new vial.  Something was already wrong with my Parrot but so afraid I made it worse.  Water parameters look good based on the old vial.  I have all the meds Cory recommends in my arsenal.  If you have any ideas what I can do to support/save her please post.  

update ; read a bunch online, put her in the hospital tank, dosed with maracyn, airstone, heat, lights out.  fingers crossed.  She's not looking great.  Dug out my API master water kit.  Water parameters are reading very good in all 7 tanks.  Don't know what on earth is going on.  #fishkeeperintailspin.  

If your nitrates were that high that would be the cause of the symptoms your seeing what I  would do is add an extra air stone and do daily 50% water changes and you can add 5x the amount of prime in an emergency to help detoxify any ammonia or nitrite nitrate till it constantly stays at zero a high dose of salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon will help fish with nitrate poisoning helps create a natural barrier with  chloride ions prevent the fish from absorbing the nitrates @AquaAries

• Like 1

thank you.  she is in a hospital tank now, she seems to be doing ok.  plenty of air.  I did but salt in the 10 gallon hospital tank (1 tablespoon) . I started her on maracyn yesterday so I guess I should continue that course.  I am still baffled about the tank water parameters.  The only thing I can think of is that the older strips I was using were telling me things were fine when they were not.  I do bi weekly water changes in that tank and have never had any issues.  I did start using a new food a few weeks ago.  Maybe I am over feeding it.  I really appreciate your advise.  Thank you!

@colu: she is still alive, today is day 5 of maracyn, I can't say much improvement, she's not eating and stays at the top of  her hospital tank where the air bubbles are abundant.  she is pale with the black splotches they get when stressed. Still labored breathing.  i have tried frozen blood worms and initially she went for them but cannot get her interest back.  Should i just hold the course and she if she improves or try another treatment?  I know this is probably dumb but would she do better with her mate?  They have spawned together and were always near each other.  I am trying hard not to do dumb things which I tend to do when this worried.

With nitrate poisoning it can cause a condition none as brown blood disease this happen when a fish's bloodstream is contaminated with nitrates Turing a  fish's blood dark brown this prevent the red blood cells from efficiently absorbing oxygen from the water this is why your fish is hanging at the surface it also cause reduce feeding response weaken immune system leading to secondary infections salt is the most effective treatment for nitrate poisoning 1 table spoon for 1 gallon increase surface aggregation try adding a small amount of seachems garlic guard to her food to try and stimulate her appetite I would leave her were she is for now in her weaken state moving her will be more stressful @AquaAries

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, AquaAries said:

thank you!  I will see if any stores around carry garlic guard.  i will probably have to order it online though.  maybe mix it in with repashy?  My poor baby!

You can add it to repashy or mix it with pellets or  frozen foods 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:04 AM, Colu said:

You can add it to repashy or mix it with pellets or  frozen foods 

Hi there!  I thought I would check in since you were so kind to lend guidance.  My  parrot fish is still with us.  I believe she has improved, the black stress spots are gone but her color still pretty pale.  She is also eating ( or at least trying to eat).  Her gill plates are still wide open.  She is moving around much more and comes to the front of the tank when I approach.  I am wondering what to do next.  I keep her tank very clean with a 20% water change every day.  I replace salt and a little stress guard with each water change.  In your opinion is this something that will eventually heal on its own or should I be trying to treat?  I read through all of your notes in the link you provided but not sure that any of those diseases is what she has.    I was thinking of trying general cure soaked in food.  Thoroughly appreciate your willingness to help.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 2:10 PM, AquaAries said:

Hi there!  I thought I would check in since you were so kind to lend guidance.  My  parrot fish is still with us.  I believe she has improved, the black stress spots are gone but her color still pretty pale.  She is also eating ( or at least trying to eat).  Her gill plates are still wide open.  She is moving around much more and comes to the front of the tank when I approach.  I am wondering what to do next.  I keep her tank very clean with a 20% water change every day.  I replace salt and a little stress guard with each water change.  In your opinion is this something that will eventually heal on its own or should I be trying to treat?  I read through all of your notes in the link you provided but not sure that any of those diseases is what she has.    I was thinking of trying general cure soaked in food.  Thoroughly appreciate your willingness to help.  

What I would do is stop adding the  salt back in  after water changes if you have your nitrate below 40ppm with nitrate poisoning it can take days to weeks depending on the severity of nitrate poisoning and how long your fish was exposed to the elevated levels of nitrates to recover I would leave it another week if your fish get worse or you see any other symptoms give an update before then and we can discuss other treatment options 

• 1 month later...

Hello Colu!  Happy Summer.  Starting the day off in the fish room and thought I would ask your advice yet again.  My Parrot fish has not fully recovered.  Her gills are still open.  She eats pretty ravenously.  I feed her mostly frozen blood worms but some flake for the dither fish I put in her hospital tank to keep her company.  htis has been the status quo since my last post.  she has a hard time getting food into her mouth with the dip an scoop method she employs.  It is so sad to watch because even when she gets some worms in half go out her gills.  Her color is medium but still much paler than her male counterpart that is still in the 300 gallon.  Do you think this could be a congenital issue for her and that her prior water conditions simply exacerbated her poor breeding?  Anyway I was thinking of moving her today from her 10 gallon to a 40 breeder.  The 40 is completely bare and empty but I thought I could create her a really nice space and maybe bring her beau over from the 300.  Do you think if i can do this without stressing her too much that it would be ok to reunite the two?  I am thinking this is not a bacterial /viral or parasitic disease at this point.  Do you agree?

Parrot cichlids are prone to having mouth deformities it's possibly genetic  what I would suggest as its been over a month with not much improvement if it were the high levels of nitrates the damage to the Gill's is permanent  I would just try and keep a low stress environment if you think the male isn't going to harass or bully  the female or out compete her for food then I don't see any issue putting them back together you could try hikari blood red parrot+ food its designed specifically for parrot cichlids @AquaAries

• Like 1