Petco find - Roseline Sharks (Denison Barbs)

Nana Finopolis

So, I stopped by Petco today to pick up some frozen fish food. I was browsing the fish tanks and saw 10 Roseline Sharks in a little 10 gal. WITH some platy's. I asked how much they were, the gal said she'd ask the "Animal Manager" as she didn't see a sticker for them (there wasn't one I could find either). The manager came over and said they were red tail sharks and were $5.99. I told her I'll take all 10 of them. They're really thin and one has a crooked spine. I didn't want to leave him alone so I took him too. They're all about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. They're in a 29 gal. quarantine tank for now. The problem is...the biggest tank I have is a 40 gal breeder. I'll fatten them up and decide what to do with them. I'm feeling a little guilty that I was sold these at a cheaper fish price. My conscience may force me to go back and give them a little more money, lol, we'll see.

Roseline Shark 4-7-23.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, Nana Finopolis said:

I told her I'll take all 10 of them. They're really thin and one has a crooked spine. I didn't want to leave him alone so I took him too. They're all about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. They're in a 29 gal. quarantine tank for now. The problem is...the biggest tank I have is a 40 gal breeder. I'll fatten them up and decide what to do with them. I'm feeling a little guilty that I was sold these at a cheaper fish price. My conscience may force me to go back and give them a little more money, lol, we'll see.

10 is a lot..... If you can id recommend a 75G for them. 40B is a lot better for them short term. I don't know what else is in there, but a school of barbs is always fun.

Enjoy them. Best of luck!

If they were RTBS, no way they ever should've sold 10 of them. Definitely a weird issue at that store you went to. (normally they only have 1 or 2 RTBS in at any one point, not a lot)

On 4/8/2023 at 12:58 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

10 is a lot..... If you can id recommend a 75G for them. 40B is a lot better for them short term. I don't know what else is in there, but a school of barbs is always fun.

Enjoy them. Best of luck!

If they were RTBS, no way they ever should've sold 10 of them. Definitely a weird issue at that store you went to. (normally they only have 1 or 2 RTBS in at any one point, not a lot)

I'll move them to the 40B when they've been medicated and out of quarantine. I'll HAVE to get a bigger aquarium or re-home them at some point. They're the only ones in the quarantine tank. The 40B has ember tetras (good size for an ember) and a bolivian ram.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, anewbie said:

Edited by Nana Finopolis

On 4/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, anewbie said:

I picked up my L204 from petco for around $20 just before the pandemic:

f1.jpg.d5bacd425dd682d25874488f7811c217.jpg

Since the pandemic our local petco has not been so great....

They really should get people in there that know what they're doing. SMH

On 4/8/2023 at 7:15 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Gorgeous! At chain petstore I worked at we would also get denisons in from time to time. Although the customers rarely saw them because the manager would buy them on delivery! 😆 He had a 250 with a school of maybe 35-50.

Googled them too and WOW some of the breed phenotypes are remarkable! 

I bet that tank was beautiful! I can dream.

Denison barbs are such beautiful fish. I'm also glad you've given a chance to the bended spine guy.

Hope they find happiness and good care in your home!

I lately want them a lot too. My LFS has a great batch, but seeing their adult size scares me! 😄 My biggest tank is also 100x40cm, so slightly bigger than a 40B. I assume they would do okay in that size for a while. I remember reading they do not reach the 6 inch adult size mostly in aquariums. The problem is the big group size tho yea. But at least for a good amount of time, until they grow up, it should be fine I believe! 

Have you ever seen this color variant? These also look great! I've found them today:

• Love 1