How do I proceed to the 2nd round of treatment of API General Cure?

awong918

My betta seems to already be cured of flukes as I have not seen him flashing today. I heard it's best to do a 2nd or even 3rd round of treatment to make sure there aren't any flukes lingering still. How would I proceed to do that?

I originally thought I should do many water changes after the 1st round of treatment to make sure there's no medication left, so that I don't risk overdosing during the 2nd round (since there may still some medication left from 1st round). But then I realized that doing this would dilute the medication. If there are still lingering flukes, wouldn't there be the risk of the flukes being able to develop immunity towards the (diluted) medication?

Typically you want to treat with general cure every two week for a total of three full courses of treatment to make sure you get any parasites that hatch inbetween treatments so do your second course of general cure on week 3 and your third course of general cure of week 5

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 6:11 PM, awong918 said:

I originally thought I should do many water changes after the 1st round of treatment to make sure there's no medication left, so that I don't risk overdosing during the 2nd round (since there may still some medication left from 1st round).

Agreed.  I tend to do 2-3 50% water changes after meds.  I typically want to get the salt / meds out of the water if the fish are showing signs of stress.

• Like 1