Kribensis tank

Bolo058

I used to keep fish about 20 years ago and then due to living circumstances iwas unable to have any more aquariums. For my Birthday in January my wife got me a 75 gallon tank. Over the last couple of months we have gone from no tanks to 6. I recently got a 29 gallon and I am trying to decide what I want to stock it with. I really like apistos, dicrossus filamentosus, and Kribensis. I think I am leaning towards the Kribensis. My question is what are some good tank mates I could put with a pair of Kribensis in a 29 gallon. 

That was what I was thinking. I didn't know if I could have other bottom dwelling fish or if the kribs would go after them. I have electric blue acara with a pair of apistogramma and it is working fine. Not really looking to breed any of them. Although the EBAs don't seem to care. They just keep having fry. 

• Like 1

Kribs are vicious monsters; so anything that stays away from them will work - i.e, most mid level/surface fishes - tetra, rasbora,  guppies (if your water is hard enough), barbs, rainbows, .... there are many options (not sure any of them are found in the same habitat of kribs). I did manage to get a school of pygmy cory to co-habit with kribs - i think i lost 2 but after the kribs 'learned' they were harmless they allow them to swim with their frys - once this happen - the pygmy would literally follow the kribs around the aquarium - using them as 'body guards'; really was quite amusing.

-

My one hate for kribs was that they were extremely proficient breeders ensuring their frys got lots of food. The first few times this is a lot of fun - but after a relatively short period of time you will find yourself overwhelmed with trying to catch them - much like bn pleco (i have a spawning pair in my 40B that have become a real problem).

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

These are all great things to know. I have a couple of pairs of Electric blue acara that are causing me similar issues. I wasnt aware that kribs were so aggressive. I thought they were more like apistogramma. 

On 4/6/2023 at 4:23 PM, Bolo058 said:

These are all great things to know. I have a couple of pairs of Electric blue acara that are causing me similar issues. I wasnt aware that kribs were so aggressive. I thought they were more like apistogramma. 

They are some what similar to some species of apistogramma; but they are more territorial and 'stronger' fishes; they are peaceful outside their territory but a 29 is fairly small with regards to floor space so depending on how you scape the aquarium their territorial might be 1/4 to 1/2 the bottom of the 29. Also they love to dig - give them deep soft sand and a rock or piece of driftwood they will gladly dig a little nest under it.

I'm glad the above poster is having luck with his Cory's and Kribs but I strongly advise not to mix the two. I ended up yanking my pair of Kribs out of the 29 after they terrorized my Cory's and bit the eyestalks off of my Nerite snails. 

They aren't super aggressive but pretty territorial so in a 29 I'd say a pair at the bottom or two females and get upper fish like others suggested.

Have fun 

Mine are now in a 20 Breeder making babies. I have no idea what I will do with all these babies but for now it's a blast.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:46 AM, Gamegurl said:

I'm glad the above poster is having luck with his Cory's and Kribs but I strongly advise not to mix the two. I ended up yanking my pair of Kribs out of the 29 after they terrorized my Cory's and bit the eyestalks off of my Nerite snails. 

They aren't super aggressive but pretty territorial so in a 29 I'd say a pair at the bottom or two females and get upper fish like others suggested.

Have fun 

Mine are now in a 20 Breeder making babies. I have no idea what I will do with all these babies but for now it's a blast.

Yep I agree; just noting an interesting experience - one i doubt would work with any other species of cory or likely to be easily repeated.