Tidal 55 question, suggestions?

Gamegurl

Howdy folks,

I was reading an older thread about this filter. Seachems Tidal 55.

I just received mine today and am happy with it but did notice the intake tubes pull seems a bit weak.

After reading what folks are saying about the skimmer I can see how that would really restrict the suction from the intake tube.

Would just popping the motor housing to access the skimmer, put some filter floss or a filter pad up there??

I hope that made sense, I don't have the manual in front of me.

Thanks for any help

GG

This won’t exactly address your questions, but just thought I’d share a low brow way to sort of “jailbreak” your HOB. Consider this the messy extreme. I never spend a penny on fancy replacements or bother cleaning things out. Just years of bio built up here…

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:32 AM, Fish Folk said:

This won’t exactly address your questions, but just thought I’d share a low brow way to sort of “jailbreak” your HOB. Consider this the messy extreme. I never spend a penny on fancy replacements or bother cleaning things out. Just years of bio built up here…

I had a pothos plant & gave it to a friend not far from me 
the reason I gave him the plant is cause at the time I didn't 
know that they could be a water plant for aquariums, So 
now when I go back to his place I'll clip off some for my 
tanks & see if they will grow & if it gets too over grown 
I'll just sell it online or to people that want some.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:43 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I had a pothos plant & gave it to a friend not far from me 
the reason I gave him the plant is cause at the time I didn't 
know that they could be a water plant for aquariums, So 
now when I go back to his place I'll clip off some for my 
tanks & see if they will grow & if it gets too over grown 
I'll just sell it online or to people that want some.

Pothos grows well emersed (out of water) but struggled immersed (under water). Cats get sick if they eat leaves.

Thanks for your reply. I actually love it, great idea.

Sadly I am returning this filter, I'm sure it's really great got a lot of good reviews but the problem is the suction tube.

No suction or very little and I don't feel I should have to jack around with a brand new $60. filter to make it work the way I want.

My Quietflow 20 had 100 times better suction.

Back to the drawing board.

If anyone has suggestions for a more powerful filter for my 29 gallon I'd be appreciative.

It's the tallness of this tank, 19 inches that makes me want a nice deep intake tube.

Cheers and have a good one.

• Like 1

There is a link in my signature with a good amount of testing on mods to the seachem tidal.  I worked with the 55 for a bit and I am now testing the 75.  Ultimately, if you want it to perform better, there are methods to "fix" the skimmer and any other issues, but there's a bit of steps to that process. 

Any other HoB will have a lot better intake tube suction because 65-80% of the openings on the tidal are the pump housing and skimmer sections.  Unfortunately, it's just the way it's been designed.  Close one, yep, the other parts perform a lot better.  

I do tend to giggle that they put the gate on the intake tube because it basically isn't going to do much of anything the majority of the time.