What the flip ? they got to GO !

Okay, I haven't bought anything new other than a auto fish feeder
like in the last 6 mons, no  plant's, no decorations, nothing from outside 
but yet I have like a KAZILLION SNAILS  I got a Ramshorn snail from LRB
but these are not them, these are tiny pea snails I call them & their in 
the millions, so I have a few questions to ask from you. do you keep them ?

If not how do you get rid of them? is there a way to keep them gone ?
right now I have been dropping (caned) green beans all through the tank
4-6 beans & turning off the light & they are drawn to them like flies, I
go pick up the beans & throw them in the trash, that's my method.

What's your way of dealing with snails you don't want in your aquarium ?
I have nerite snails that I bought a while back, so I  don't think that's how I
got the 1's I DON'T WANT. Thank you for your help & thoughts take care.

I know people frown on this sometimes, but in limited sample size for me... assassin snails have done pretty well on the bladder/pond/pest snails.  They don't seem to do as well on MTS, though they haven't been exposed to them for long.  

Bladder snails have been a massive problem in my discus tank, but I am slowly bringing them under control my physical crushing and in depth cleaning (which is moderately easy with a bare bottom).  Right now I feel like I am correcting the population in the right direction.  But I might need the continual downward pressure of a few assassin snails to do that.  I'm just too nervous to add them into my discus tank because I think the ones I bought were wild caught.  Eventually I might get brave enough.

I put 10 assassin snails and a bunch of bladder snails in a small container of tank water for a few days and I was amazed at how many of the snails they ate.  Every bladder snail I put in was eaten.  The MTS not nearly as much, but perhaps when they're more hungry they would.  Right now they have basically eliminated the bladder snails in the tank they're in.

All that said, they ate my rabbit snails.  However, they seemed to have already been sick/dying for some unknown reason.  Nothing else in the tank had an issue, but they just kept acting more and more strange.  Possibly too much Easy Carbon?  

They haven't bothered the two nerites.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, lefty o said:

my favorite method is assassin snails. chemical options can work really well also, but can be detrimental to other tank inhabitants.

I just watched a 15 min video about assassin snails, but didn't say anything about 
nerite if they will eat them too, cause that won't work in my tank.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, jwcarlson said:

I know people frown on this sometimes, but in limited sample size for me... assassin snails have done pretty well on the bladder/pond/pest snails.  They don't seem to do as well on MTS, though they haven't been exposed to them for long.  

Bladder snails have been a massive problem in my discus tank, but I am slowly bringing them under control my physical crushing and in depth cleaning (which is moderately easy with a bare bottom).  Right now I feel like I am correcting the population in the right direction.  But I might need the continual downward pressure of a few assassin snails to do that.  I'm just too nervous to add them into my discus tank because I think the ones I bought were wild caught.  Eventually I might get brave enough.

I put 10 assassin snails and a bunch of bladder snails in a small container of tank water for a few days and I was amazed at how many of the snails they ate.  Every bladder snail I put in was eaten.  The MTS not nearly as much, but perhaps when they're more hungry they would.  Right now they have basically eliminated the bladder snails in the tank they're in.

All that said, they ate my rabbit snails.  However, they seemed to have already been sick/dying for some unknown reason.  Nothing else in the tank had an issue, but they just kept acting more and more strange.  Possibly too much Easy Carbon?  

They haven't bothered the two nerites.

(They haven't bothered the two nerites.) That's what I was wondering about 
but I did get a Idea from your commitment, I have a 10 gal tank I could set up 
& get some 
assassin snails & when I get a bunch of snails just throw them in 
the  assassin snails tank, I like that idea, thanks for the tip. 👍

• Like 1

I would just keep them. They'll help clean the tank and their population will control itself once the tank achieves balance. I find it way more stressful to try removing every pest snail, then just having extra snails in the tank.

If you do want to remove them, loaches have a reputation for being good snail hunters, so I would consider dwarf chain loaches. I haven't had the opportunity to keep yet, but I have tried assassin snails and they were too slow for my taste. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, lefty o said:

my favorite method is assassin snails. chemical options can work really well also, but can be detrimental to other tank inhabitants.

My assassin snails are basically useless. All they do is hang out on the driftwood having snail sex all day. They lay lots of eggs but they are no good for that either due to the long hatch time and the several months the young spend waiting to get sucked up when I vacuum the sand.

I ordered some rosy loaches and zebra botia… bringing out the big guns lol

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 12:30 AM, Ninjoma said:

I would just keep them. They'll help clean the tank and their population will control itself once the tank achieves balance. I find it way more stressful to try removing every pest snail, then just having extra snails in the tank.

If you do want to remove them, loaches have a reputation for being good snail hunters, so I would consider dwarf chain loaches. I haven't had the opportunity to keep yet, but I have tried assassin snails and they were too slow for my taste. 

I was thinking that too till I watched a video about them & said they 
eat the fish eggs & well that's not what I want so that's out, & if I 
get something that EATS the snails I have to put it in another tank.

So I'm just getting them out with dropping green beans in the tank 
& waiting a few hours & pull them out that way, & in 24 hrs. I've 
pulled out over a 100 or more with just 4-6   green beans dropped 
in the tank & everytime I see the beans covered with snails I take 
them out & drop more beans in & wait a few hrs. pretty simple.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:31 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Can you post a photo?

Yea, but I've about got them all now with the green beans 
why would you want a photo of the snails ? just asking.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:34 AM, Phoenixfishroom said:

My assassin snails are basically useless. All they do is hang out on the driftwood having snail sex all day. They lay lots of eggs but they are no good for that either due to the long hatch time and the several months the young spend waiting to get sucked up when I vacuum the sand.

I ordered some rosy loaches and zebra botia… bringing out the big guns lol

If I want to keep my nerite snails I can't put any kind of snail control 
in my tank cause they will kill them as well & I want them but not the 
1's that OVER POPULATE the tank where they eat everything from all 
the fish, from their food to their eggs, that's not what I want.

So being I have a 10 gal taking up space I'm working on a idea that 
just MAY work & that's to get what snails I populate & put them in 
it & get a type of something that eats them & put it in that tank.

If I get a bigger tank & put what ever eats snails in THAT TANK 
that wouldn't be a problem either cause I'd have the space to 
do another 75 gal for some kind of loach or other type of snails
or something that I could have on hand if it happens again.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:07 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I just watched a 15 min video about assassin snails, but didn't say anything about 
nerite if they will eat them too, cause that won't work in my tank.

I have several tanks each with a handful of both assassins and nerites. The assassins do not bother my nerites as I have not lost any nerites to predation. Once the bladder snail population dwindled to me not seeing any in a week or two I do start moving the assassins out. They only go after bigger harder to eat prey when they cannot find food. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have several tanks each with a handful of both assassins and nerites. The assassins do not bother my nerites as I have not lost any nerites to predation. Once the bladder snail population dwindled to me not seeing any in a week or two I do start moving the assassins out. They only go after bigger harder to eat prey when they cannot find food. 

Yea that's what I figure would happen & I'm not going to take that chance 
so if I do anything I'll just set up a snail tank so when I get a population 
I can throw them in the snail tank & not have to worry about that problem.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:13 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

(They haven't bothered the two nerites.) That's what I was wondering about 
but I did get a Idea from your commitment, I have a 10 gal tank I could set up 
& get some 
assassin snails & when I get a bunch of snails just throw them in 
the  assassin snails tank, I like that idea, thanks for the tip. 👍

unless I read this wrong, this seems like you are just adding an extra step to the process you are already doing. If you are gonna collect the snails (I assume with the green beans) why put them in a tank to be eaten when you could just throw them away?

I guess my point is that you still won't be removing them from main tank any quicker than you already are and if you don't find the current method to be satisfactory, I am not sure you will find the "new" method any better at population control.

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:06 AM, NOLANANO said:

unless I read this wrong, this seems like you are just adding an extra step to the process you are already doing. If you are gonna collect the snails (I assume with the green beans) why put them in a tank to be eaten when you could just throw them away?

I guess my point is that you still won't be removing them from main tank any quicker than you already are and if you don't find the current method to be satisfactory, I am not sure you will find the "new" method any better at population control.

you could just throw them away, That's what I'm doing for now I  have some 
other ideas on hold for the time being that I'll be researching after my trip 
I have coming up in a few weeks so what I'm doing now will have to do.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:00 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Yea that's what I figure would happen & I'm not going to take that chance 
so if I do anything I'll just set up a snail tank so when I get a population 
I can throw them in the snail tank & not have to worry about that problem.

I have never heard of assassins going after adult Nerite or mystery snails. In an aquarium environment they are part of the cleanup crew and will eat extra fish food as a main part of their diet if they can. When there are no other snails assassins do just fine eating whatever else you feed the tank. Sometimes I wonder if mine are so useless because they already get plenty to eat… my worst aquarium vice it feeding on the heavy handed side, I own it lol.  So instead they just sit around doing hedonistic snail shit all day and I am left crushing bladder and ramshorn snails with my snail crusher (aka a long baseball bat keychainj) 😒

As I know your tank is a big one from the previous  topics of yours, if you are willing to keep your nerites in your new tank(so move them away), I would get snail eating loaches. Loaches would enjoy your big tank very much and would help you with your snail issue. 

Assasin snails reproduce a lot as well and they lay under the substrate so you don't actually know how many you have. You can potentially replace pest snails with assasin snails. Assasin snails are opportunistic carnivors, so they will surely hunt down snails, however, considering you already have corydoras and feed bottom feeders, they will surely enjoy fish food too. And full assasin snails probably won't be going after snails really. So I would say go for a school of loaches. In a 75g, I would get a school of yoyo loaches myself.

Here are some videos of them:

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, Lennie said:

As I know your tank is a big one from the previous  topics of yours, if you are willing to keep your nerites in your new tank(so move them away), I would get snail eating loaches. Loaches would enjoy your big tank very much and would help you with your snail issue. 

Assasin snails reproduce a lot as well and they lay under the substrate so you don't actually know how many you have. You can potentially replace pest snails with assasin snails. Assasin snails are opportunistic carnivors, so they will surely hunt down snails, however, considering you already have corydoras and feed bottom feeders, they will surely enjoy fish food too. And full assasin snails probably won't be going after snails really. So I would say go for a school of loaches. In a 75g, I would get a school of yoyo loaches myself.

I'll have to find some somewhere, thank you for the videos 
I may put my nerite snails in my other tank cause if the 
yoyo loaches eat snails that would be a feast for them.

The snails the yoyo loaches was eating are the 1's I have 
along with some 
Ramshorn snails but not too enthused 
about them either being I'm starting to see a lot of them.

I don't mind snails if I can keep them at bay in population 
that's the main reason I got the nerite snails cause they
don't produce like flies & over take the aquarium.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I'll have to find some somewhere, thank you for the videos 
I may put my nerite snails in my other tank cause if the 
yoyo loaches eat snails that would be a feast for them.

The snails the yoyo loaches was eating are the 1's I have 
along with some 
Ramshorn snails but not too enthused 
about them either being I'm starting to see a lot of them.

I don't mind snails if I can keep them at bay in population 
that's the main reason I got the nerite snails cause they
don't produce like flies & over take the aquarium.

Loaches are fun lil characters. If I had a 75g, I would consider them for myself too but my biggest tank is 160Liters(around 42g) for now. Loaches are very active fish, so the bigger the tank the better for them really. They also like to be in schools too as far as I know.

Snails are a great part of ecosystem and helps with a natural look. The "pest" snails are usually good to have, it is just that they can be unsightly as their food sources are way too much. Besides potential fish food, algae, biofilm, decaying plant matter, Something dead in your tank, etc., all can be considered as food for them. So yea, I feel you.

Would be exciting to see if you happen to get loaches! 

I am not sure if they would bully corydoras during feeding time tho. Maybe anyone has experience with keeping both together?

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, Lennie said:

I just watched a video about the yo-yo loaches & from what he said 
that don't sound like a good fit for my aquarium, sounded good but 
not from what he explained in the video after listening to it all.

Species Spotlight | Yoyo Loach < this is the video I watched 

Being I have Cory catfish & zebra & leopard danios, & molly's
& the nerite snails, not to mention the plants I have as well 
java ferns, amazon swords Octopus plant's lilies, jungle Val.

He also mentioned the substrate they prefer sand but will 
do well with small gravel like pea gravel I have both river rock 
& pea gravel & I'm not a 100% sure if they would work in my 
aquarium cause he also said they get around 6-7 inches long
& to have about 5+ in a group that SURELY WON'T WORK.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I just watched a video about the yo-yo loaches & from what he said 
that don't sound like a good fit for my aquarium, sounded good but 
not from what he explained in the video after listening to it all.

Species Spotlight | Yoyo Loach < this is the video I watched 

Being I have Cory catfish & zebra & leopard danios, & molly's
& the nerite snails, not to mention the plants I have as well 
java ferns, amazon swords Octopus plant's lilies, jungle Val.

He also mentioned the substrate they prefer sand but will 
do well with small gravel like pea gravel I have both river rock 
& pea gravel & I'm not a 100% sure if they would work in my 
aquarium cause he also said they get around 6-7 inches long
& to have about 5+ in a group that SURELY WON'T WORK.

I have never heard of a yoyo loach reaching 7 inch personally. Also don’t underestimate your tank size, 75g is big and surely can home a small school of loaches, as long as you like them ofc. 7inch sounds like them in wild rather than home tanks. 

@Cinnebuns @KittenFishMom can you guys help with yoyo loaches, their size, if they would be okay with the mentioned substrate and with corycats in a 75g, theirschool size, their temperament etc.

When I bought my yoyo loaches they were labeled as dwarf chain loaches. I had them in a 10 gallon tank. They loved eating all snails I offered. I didn't keep them very long at all because they quickly got too big for the tank.  They were very active, and fun to watch, but I was looking for quieter fish to put in the 55 tank after I did the build, so I rehomed them.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 1