Aquarium background

I use Velimax window tint.  Comes in a roll and you just need to measure the height of the glass to find the size you need, They offer a variety of styles.  The one I use has a 100% darkness and works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Velimax-Blackout-Stickers-Blocking-Darkening/dp/B073TVRQ5D

Edited by nabokovfan87
added link
  • Like 2

I used plasti-dip black rubberized coating to spray the back of my aquarium.  It seemed to work pretty good and while I haven't tried removing it yet, it does seem like I could get it off with some peeling/scraping if I really wanted to.  I attached a link below so you can see the product.  It's sold at several different stores.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/specialty-paints/rubberized-coatings/19507

Screenshot_20230404_220659_Chrome.jpg

On 4/4/2023 at 9:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I use Velimax window tint.  Comes in a roll and you just need to measure the height of the glass to find the size you need, They offer a variety of styles.  The one I use has a 100% darkness and works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Velimax-Blackout-Stickers-Blocking-Darkening/dp/B073TVRQ5D

That's what I use.  It might be a bit of a pain to do if there's not much clearance behind the tank, though.  In that case it may be easier to use something more rigid that you can cut to size and tape or otherwise fasten on.  My issue with most of that is I inevitably get water on it and it ends up looking trashy. 😄  I love the velimax stuff.  I've also used some semi-opaque blue on my discus tank.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:09 PM, jwcarlson said:

That's what I use.  It might be a bit of a pain to do if there's not much clearance behind the tank, though.  In that case it may be easier to use something more rigid that you can cut to size and tape or otherwise fasten on.  My issue with most of that is I inevitably get water on it and it ends up looking trashy. 😄  I love the velimax stuff.  I've also used some semi-opaque blue on my discus tank.

If you can fit a HOB I usually manage to get it on there.  I use the front glass to measure then get it on there as best I can.   It works!  But yeah, there's a few ways to solve the puzzle, as always 🙂 .

• Like 1

There is a guy on Etsy thats will make any size background, and you can choose from thousand of stock photos for a really good price. I too had an existing tank and couldn't use the sticky/cling  backgrounds. You just tape this on the sides edges. I couldn't find a picture that i liked anywhere online, then I saw his listing. I loved that I had so many choices. And they aren't blurry or blown out of proportion. 

Edited by Fresh Princess

I'm using some cheap plastic floor protector I got at a hardware store. 

I can't get to the back on my tank so it was flexible enough to thread into the gap between the tank and the wall without creasing. 

it's plain on the other side just incase you were wondering and magically the same size as my tank. 

Screenshot_20230409_220333_Chrome.jpg.1a811053195e2b9ed85d1f188df8a10f.jpg