Betta feeding question

BeeGryphon

Hi all! I'm pretty new to this and may be overthinking it, but I'd rather ask and know. I have a betta in a tank with ember tetras and pygmy corydoras as well as two nerite snails. I feed Xtreme Community Crave Flakes, crushed, but also got Xtreme Betta Pellets because it's my understanding bettas have more specific nutritional needs from prepared food. The pellets instruct to feed 2-3 pellets 2x per day. That's fine, he eats them up readily, but after he's done with his pellets he starts eating the flakes still floating, which seems to be a lot as they sink pretty slowly. My question is: is that going to be too much for him? If so, should I:

1. Feed pellets just once a day and flakes once a day?
  2. Do a short presoak on flakes so more sink more quickly?
  3. Something else?

Either of the above options would probably be good because I notice they do stay floating for a while since the tetras wait for them to sink and the corys only take a very little bit off the top, so the food is just staying there for a while it seems. Thanks for any insight!

On 4/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I vote for option 1, as both are good but it means less work and an easier feeding routine. Your betta will probably eat anything, unless he’s one of those 1% who only go for BBS.

Thanks! He definitely eats both up readily so no worries there.

To pipe in I have 2 Bettas in community tanks. I think variety of food is just as important as Betta specific foods. I feed whatever flake or small pellets to these tanks in the morning then some other food in the evening with a few Betta pellets to the Bettas. As long as they are not getting overweight it shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes while hunting the pellets the other fish get most of the flake. Everyone picks off the stuff that sinks. :-) 

On 4/4/2023 at 9:38 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

To pipe in I have 2 Bettas in community tanks. I think variety of food is just as important as Betta specific foods. I feed whatever flake or small pellets to these tanks in the morning then some other food in the evening with a few Betta pellets to the Bettas. As long as they are not getting overweight it shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes while hunting the pellets the other fish get most of the flake. Everyone picks off the stuff that sinks. 🙂

Good to know! I also have some frozen foods I plan on feeding once or twice a week as well. Not sure if anyone else will be able to eat the bloodworms though, size wise 🤔

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, BeeGryphon said:

bloodworms though, size wise 

There is an easy solution here. 

I feed baby brine and blood worms. Usually I just feed the brine to the small fish and Bloodworms to my bigger fish. I typically use scaping tweezers to feed by hand all my Betta (they get 3-4 large bloodworms) then I feed the rest to my Harlequins, Black Neons and Bolivian Ram. However if all you have is small fish chop up the frozen block into small pieces and just thaw that. I thaw it in a little tank water in a small container then pour it in the tank. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 10:56 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

There is an easy solution here. 

I feed baby brine and blood worms. Usually I just feed the brine to the small fish and Bloodworms to my bigger fish. I typically use scaping tweezers to feed by hand all my Betta (they get 3-4 large bloodworms) then I feed the rest to my Harlequins, Black Neons and Bolivian Ram. However if all you have is small fish chop up the frozen block into small pieces and just thaw that. I thaw it in a little tank water in a small container then pour it in the tank. 

That's a good idea!! Thank you!

• Like 1