20 gallon high

TheMilkman

On 4/3/2023 at 4:30 PM, TheMilkman said:

My brother just got a 20 gallon high. 16" High. He wants a school of fish and a bigger centerpiece fish. Having trouble thinking of a centerpiece bigger than dwarf cichlids that would fit in the tank. Any suggestions?

Maybe a pearl gourami or kribensis? An angelfish might work too, but it might get too big long-term. 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:18 PM, Pepere said:

I have a Dwarf Gourami in mine. A honey Gourami would also work.

A male American Flag fish could fill the bill as well, though I might add a female or two to keep him company.  The size and coloration difference is enough to make him more of a centerpiece…

I've heard good things about American flag fish, they have nice color and they apparently eat Black beard Algae BBA which can be useful. 

Bolivian rams can be nice, they are more peaceful than electric blue rams

• Like 1

As it is high, I would aim to use the levels of the aquarium and try ti stay away from very active fish.

Dwarf gouramis temperament vs other fish is a pure luck, so I think honey gouramis would make a great centerpiece fish. Or you can look for red rubin gouramis too. They are pretty as well!

For schooling fish I would say ember tetras. Pretty color, okay size, not super active. Or maybe green neon tetras. OR, red neon blue eye rainbows! 

for bottom dwellers, I would get a small group of pygmy or hastatus corys. OR, kuhli loaches. Assuming you will have a sand type of bottom substrate to not dmg barbels, or further, let them perform their sifting behavior.

If you will have a lid, one mystery snail may add lots of character to the tank too!

As algae eaters, maybe something like 3 borneo suckers and 2 nerite snails