Surprise baby fry

pcc

Six days ago I traveled to a LFS in Portland that said they had Amano shrimp in stock.  I wanted to try the shrimp out as tank cleaners.  I picked up six shrimp and a very young (small) Hillstream  Loach.  Unfortunately the loach did not even survive the 45 minute drive home.  The shrimp were ok, so I put them in my quarantine tank. That is when I noticed that I also received about 20 to 30 very tiny fry fish along with the shrimp! So I have been trying to feed them, they are too small for live brine shrimp.  I am also trying egg yolk forced through a fine cloth which I think they are eating.  I also purchased some Hikari First Bites and Aquarium Co-op baby fry food.  I think they are eating some of the Hikari which is smaller than AQ baby fry food.  I am going to try and change some water in the tank tomorrow (the yolk is a little messy)and hopefully not suck out the fry!  Any thoughts on what I should be feeding them?  They have survived six days now so maybe they are eating. The shrimp are still doing well too!

• Love 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:35 PM, pcc said:

I think they are eating some of the Hikari which is smaller than AQ baby fry food.  I am going to try and change some water in the tank tomorrow (the yolk is a little messy)and hopefully not suck out the fry!  Any thoughts on what I should be feeding them? 

you can take basically any food and use a pepper mill and grind it into powder for them. You can also feed them repashy powder as well.  It would be a very small amount typically, think they end of a very fine paintbrush tip.

When I was cleaning a tank with fry, same as with neo shrimp, I would let things settle and then use a light to try to view them.  If there is any issues then just use a turkey baster or a small plastic dish or something to gently get the fry back into the tank.