Help with serious SBD in goldfish.

yannachka

hey all! i need some advice regarding a goldfish of mine. sorry but this will be long so apologies for the blocks of text. i have had this goldfish for about 7-8 months so far, she was purchased from an online retailer that im overall not happy with. the issue with her is her body, she is very compressed and short, i initially asked for swim videos of her since in the online photos it looked like she may have issues but i was never sent any (one of my gripes with this company). regardless, she was shipped and i received her.i added a photo of her so you can see just how circular she is in the body.

from the first day she showed pretty bad swim bladder issues. i would give her weekly or bi weekly salt baths to help and i make sure to fast her once a week. she would be fine for a couple weeks and then get floaty again so id fast her 1 day, feed her frozen daphnia with vitamins the following day as a laxative (none of my goldies like peas so i use daphnia as a laxative instead), all while she is separated and kept in salt. after this treatment she would go back to swimming normal for 1-2 weeks before it would happen again. the longest she went without showing any floatiness would be like 3 weeks i would say. she has a hard time swimming in general since she is an orchid tail so her tail doesn’t flow behind her like normal but opens up into an almost circle behind her. combine that with her body shape and she isnt the best swimmer. i found that overeating would trigger this as well which is why i always fasted and gave daphnia to clear it out but by far, i believe her body shape is the primary cause.

the issue i am having is that she became floaty about a week and a half ago and no treatment works. she is starting to get burns on her stomach from being stuck upside down at the top of the tank and while she tried to swim, she floats right back up. i did the salt treatment like normal, she was fasted for 5 days, and she was given frozen daphnia but none of it has helped. i also know it was not from overeating as i have been lowering their feeding amounts the past month so she has been getting less food than normal. i did feed her since and she is eating overall and in good spirits (active, tries to swim, no signs of lethargy or illness).

i am very concerned about the burns and i have a feeling that she is just not going to improve from this this time. it has always been a battle with her from the beginning and i dont want this girl to suffer. im at a loss as to what to do with her, i can try to make her a wheelchair of sorts to keep her upright but that will cause issues long term. i really do not want to euthanize her since she is so full of life and shows no negative signs minus the swim bladder issues. if you were in my place, what would you do? just need some advice and recommendations regarding her.IMG_6985.JPG.9def247d3a74e3f7549fca9873f34a02.JPG

There is a YouTuber called life with pets (I think!) who had a similar problem with one of her goldish. She ended up putting it in a shallower, smaller tank and it helped some. There may be more videos on the channel! Aqua Girl Talks also has some videos. Have you ever tried Repashy Super Gold? I was so tempted to buy a goldfish online, but I ended up at my local LFS and bought a derpy ranchu after watching all the fish for an hour. So disappointing they didn't send you the video! If I ever buy online, it with be with Zhao's Fancies. More expensive, but they all have videos 

Goldfish are the best! Except when they have SBD, then its heart wrenching. It sounds like you have pretty much run the gambit when it comes to feeding/fasting. If you haven't heard of him yet, there is a veterinarian on the east coast of the United States that has multiple websites specializing in Goldfish/Koi health and treatment. His name is Dr. Erik Johnson, DVM. I have a few of his books, but I also use his websites to look for solutions. From his site, I was able to determine my pearlscale's SBD was being caused by a bacterial infection. I treated her and she has been floaty free for months now. He speaks at length about SBD in Koi and Goldfish and how to tell what is causing your fish's SBD (i.e. body shape, infection, food, all of the above). He also offers a ton of treatment options. If you are interested, his main site is drjohnson.com and his archive site is koivet.com. He also has a YouTube channel. Hope this helps!

Edited by J. Mantooth
location clarification
  • Thanks 1

I love Dr Erik Johnson! His videos on the 20 steps to diagnosing fish are so helpful and I have his fancy goldfish book. He has a lot of great suggestions and I don't feel like enough people know about him 

• Like 1