Water Changes

CJs Aquatics

This is a topic that I disagree with myself on.

I understand that testing for nitrates should dictate how often and how much water should be changed. But I end up doing a 50% water change, every Sunday, on everytank. I know that is not needed because I have a fountain in the backyard with; corydoras, mollies, guppies (100's of guppies) and even large gold fish, and that gets a waterchange about once a year.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:22 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

This is a topic that I disagree with myself on.

I understand that testing for nitrates should dictate how often and how much water should be changed. But I end up doing a 50% water change, every Sunday, on everytank. I know that is not needed because I have a fountain in the backyard with; corydoras, mollies, guppies (100's of guppies) and even large gold fish, and that gets a waterchange about once a year.

Nitrates aren’t the only thing; all of your flora and fauna are producing dissolved organic compounds as part of their normal metabolic processes. In addition to traditional macronutrient imbalances, these are often the causes of algae problems. Particularly BBA.

Edited by AndEEss
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, AndEEss said:

Nitrates aren’t the only thing; all of your flora and fauna are producing dissolved organic compounds as part of their normal metabolic processes. In addition to traditional macronutrient imbalances, these are often causes of algae problems.

You forgot; water hardness goes up, ph changes over time and onset of old tank syndrome. 

On 4/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, Fresh Princess said:

what is old tank syndrome?

On 4/4/2023 at 5:50 AM, JettsPapa said:

My understanding is that it's when various components in the water have built up over time to what would be toxic levels for newly introduced fish or invertebrates, but the existing stock have adapted since the changes have been gradual.  I won't argue with someone who disagrees, or has another definition, because he or she is probably correct.

• Like 2