Fluval breeder box

smm333

If anyone has the fluval breeding box (it's the 0.3 gallon hang on the side one) do you know if it will keep the water temperature the same as the tank water? The water circulates from the tank so I am hoping it will. My spixi snail laid eggs and I'm anxious to hatch them. What I read says parents will eat them and they need warmer water to hatch. I moved them from my 72° shrimp tank where they were laid to the breeding box on my 78° strawberry rasbora tank. 

20230401_111859.jpg

If your flow is up pretty high then it will stay within a couple degrees as long as your room air isn’t a huge temp difference from your water temp.  If your flow is lower, then it can drop 3-4 degrees, but I would think the eggs would still hatch but maybe take longer?  @Guppysnail, any thoughts on low temp effect on spixi eggs?

Edited by Odd Duck
Edit to clarify about air temp.

On 4/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

If your flow is up pretty high then it will stay within a couple degrees as long as your room air isn’t a huge temp difference from your water temp.  If your flow is lower, then it can drop 3-4 degrees, but I would think the eggs would still hatch but maybe take longer?  @Guppysnail, any thoughts on low temp effect on spixi eggs?

The water is up high. They are in my bedroom which gets a bit cooler at night. Hopefully that won't cause problems. 

What temp are you wanting and what is your air temp? Try it out and see what the temp does.  You’ll know within an hour or so.  If your air temp drops lower overnight, then check the breeder box temp first thing in the morning and see if it’s still in the range you want.

I have one setup for a fish if you want me to measure temps I can. I do expect the temp to drop a little bit, keeping the flow on the higher side is pretty much one of the only ways to fight it. You can also wrap it in a towel or strafoam if you're running into a pretty severe drop.

Convection basically being the reason why it's cooler. More exposure to the cold air in the room. (Essentially 5 sides)

On 4/1/2023 at 7:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have one setup for a fish if you want me to measure temps I can. I do expect the temp to drop a little bit, keeping the flow on the higher side is pretty much one of the only ways to fight it. You can also wrap it in a towel or strafoam if you're running into a pretty severe drop.

Or bubblewrap.  Bubblewrap might even adhere by just wetting the smoother side placing it against the plastic.  I’d probably add a little tape, as insurance.  Hard to see through but easier to see through than a towel and doesn’t lose its insulating properties like a towel would.  You could make a little 3 sided box (with a bottom) out of styrofoam that you could take off to view the contents of the box.  The styrofoam would be easily re-usable.

• Thanks 1