My milksnake 🥛

The endler guy

Today (my birthday) my parents allowed me to get a snake! I was going to get a sand boa but two stores didn’t have one, but I saw this BEAUTIFUL baby milksnake and I just HAD to get it.

sadly I was in a rush/ the store didn’t have some of the supplies so it is just a temporary enclosure 

Edited by The endler guy
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, PineSong said:

Since I went to elementary school in the land of venomous snakes (south Florida), seeing your new pet brought me right back to the annual lessons on the differences between milk and coral snakes. Glad you got the safe kind!

Actually the rhyme to tell the difference is false (at least coral snakes as a whole, in America it does work)

On 4/2/2023 at 9:18 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Wow!! I’ve always wanted a corn snake, but it was a big no-no with my parents. Two questions:

1. What do you feed it?

2. Any name ideas??

I still need to get food (they were sold out of pinky mice) 

I don’t name until the animal gets fully established and is safe 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 6:46 PM, The endler guy said:

and question, is it okay that the temp dips down to 75 in the night?

Sorry for the late reply - I’m in Singapore for the holidays. 😂
I have a local guy who breeds these snakes, and he says (quoting as best as I can) that it’s OK if the temperature dips down to about 78 at night; but a basking spot made up of a heat stone which is on 24/7 is essential for keeping the temperature OK. 
Good Luck and please post some pics! 

On 4/10/2023 at 12:32 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sorry for the late reply - I’m in Singapore for the holidays. 😂
I have a local guy who breeds these snakes, and he says (quoting as best as I can) that it’s OK if the temperature dips down to about 78 at night; but a basking spot made up of a heat stone which is on 24/7 is essential for keeping the temperature OK. 
Good Luck and please post some pics! 

Ok thx, I use heat from basking lamps, usually gets to ~85f on the warm side at the end of the day, and usually over 70 by the time the lights turn on in the morning 

I’ll see about getting a heat pad as well if it’s really needed, or would a heat bulb work (one that doesn’t make light )

Also so jealous, I’ve barely ever even left Maryland

On 4/11/2023 at 2:46 PM, The endler guy said:

Any tips to anyone who has reptiles to feeding when they are in shed (it just happens the today is feeding day)

You can offer small portions. If they seem uninterested remove immediately. I actually do have some snake experience. Once their eyes cloud much more than this guy they will not usually eat because they cannot see. It also frightens them because they can’t see to defend themselves or escape. 
a good trick I learned is putting a damp clump of sphagnum moss in a corner. Once the start shedding they crawl through it and it helps release the shed especially over the eyes and tail tip and makes  them less itchy. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Guppysnail said:

You can offer small portions. If they seem uninterested remove immediately. I actually do have some snake experience. Once their eyes cloud much more than this guy they will not usually eat because they cannot see. It also frightens them because they can’t see to defend themselves or escape. 
a good trick I learned is putting a damp clump of sphagnum moss in a corner. Once the start shedding they crawl through it and it helps release the shed especially over the eyes and tail tip and makes  them less itchy. 

Should I do the sphagnum moss trick when I see them removing the shed or when they go blue? (I may not see them shed as I have school)

On 4/11/2023 at 5:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

The corn snakes, pythons and rosy boas I dealt with I left the moist moss in all the time. It was easier for me. 

Yay, I have (or at least attempted)  to create a humid hide, not sure if it is actually humid

but there are areas in the substrate that are damper than others (ie bellow the water bowl, where it is not as warm, shaded and substrate is fairly deep

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:50 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you kiddo regularly uses the hide you can put the moist moss in there but then I would also provide a dry hide. 

My little dude prefers to burrow, but he has two hides (the two logs) the one on the right seems a little large for him at the moment 

Should I increase my misting?

I mist two times a day for 15 seconds (using auto mister)

On 4/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, The endler guy said:

My little dude prefers to burrow, but he has two hides (the two logs) the one on the right seems a little large for him at the moment 

Should I increase my misting?

I mist two times a day for 15 seconds (using auto mister)

I do not know anything about milksnakes. I would follow care guidance’s found on humidity levels and make certain you have a hygrometer, a warm side and a cool side so he can self regulate along with moist and dry areas. 

• Like 3

Beautiful snake and bioactive set up! I haven't owned milksnakes before so I can't comment on their specific care requirements. One thing I will suggest is to use gloves and long tongs when feeding pinkies, the last thing you want is for your hand to smell like food! If you want to be able to handle your noodle, start ASAP. I would probably wait til he/she sheds, then get it used to being handled.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 7:42 AM, CrashBandit05 said:

Beautiful snake and bioactive set up! I haven't owned milksnakes before so I can't comment on their specific care requirements. One thing I will suggest is to use gloves and long tongs when feeding pinkies, the last thing you want is for your hand to smell like food! If you want to be able to handle your noodle, start ASAP. I would probably wait til he/she sheds, then get it used to being handled.

Yup I use tongs to feed, and I definitely want to handle my little guy but he is never out, so I haven’t been able to handle him 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:38 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is important. Once they start to show she’d limit interactions as he will view it as a threat. 

Ya I’m aware, definitely want to keep his stress down in this uncomfortable time for him

I haven’t handled him yet as I don’t want to uproot the entire terrarium and scare him

any suggestions on how to actually “catch” him?

also since I got him recently he could have been going through shed and that’s why he hasn’t entirely left his burrows 

Edited by The endler guy