What is this stuff?

This white substance is all over the glass in my guppy tank, but none of the other tanks.  Last week I scraped it all off, did a substantial water change and cleaned the filters.  It has reappeared and blankets the glass. The structure looks to my uneducated eyes like fungus...?   Our water is hard but all tanks are one to several years old so I can't fathom its water related.  

Water tested fine...0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate.   The fish are happy, no growth on the fishes or plants.

I'm really baffled.   

aquarium glass-2.jpg

@reefhugger haha no worries. I've had them before, they're actually pretty cool but you don't want a massive population either. Plus glass huggers (like my hillstream loach) didn't really like them so they wouldn't go near them. I had to reduce their population by getting some Guppies and reducing feeding. And remember fight the urge to scrape them off the glass because that just creates more! 

Good luck! :-) 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 3/31/2023 at 4:56 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

had to reduce their population by getting some Guppies

I'm laughing and on my way to have a chat with the guppies in that tank.  I may put a sign up pointing to the hydra saying "Next Meal".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@reefhugger  I hope you'll post back about how long it took your fish to eliminate the hydra problem. I freaked out the first time I had them but they were gone within days when I stopped the 24 hour buffet for my guppy fry. I did not have as many as you but I had a lot--overfeeder in recovery over here!

• Like 1