Stressed, Sick or Lonely?

schmofam

This is our first fish tank and we started with three platys and 5 other fish. It is 10 gallons. It took some time to get the right parameters for the water because we were inexperienced. Two of the platys had a baby, and the original three have since died. It has been some time but the baby who has grown is now doing a lot of hiding and is very skittish when we look into the tank. However, he is still eating. There are two other guppies in the tank and keep to themselves so there is no bullying going on. I recall the other platys hid as well in the last days of their lives so this also has me concerned.

I have done all I can to make sure every parameter is correct going forward after losing the starting fish. PH - 7.3, temp - 77, Nitrite - 0, Ammonia -0, and Nitrate around 30 ppm. I do a water change roughly once a week and clean the tank around once a month. I also am starting to add some bacteria after the water changes and have some vitamins I put into the water as well.

This is a special fish to the family as it has been born and lived in our tank so I'm worried I'm doing something wrong I don't know about.

Edited by schmofam

Awww @schmofam . Firsly, welcome to the forum. 

To answer your question, stressed sick or lonely, sadly it can be all of the above. So it's a process of elimination. 

First, I think your water parameters are fine from what we have. I wonder do you have a GH (water hardness) tester? Livebearing fish (breeding or not) prefer hard water.  If you have soft water you might consider adding Seachem Equilibrium or Wonder Shell, maybe even crushed coral to remedy this. Consider buying a kh/gh test kit if you don't have one. 

Second. When you can see poor little Platy anything physically sticking out to you? Changes? Deformities, missing scales or etc? Try and take a picture and post it here!

Third. Schooling/Shoaling fish like Platies are often more comfortable with others. When they don't have a group they tend to do what you describe. This can cause them stress and make them sick or they are just shy and hide. Nobody wants a fish that hides all the time (unless the species is known for it) because we worry right?

I would consider getting the platy a couple of partners if the tank is healthy and no signs of illness (remember the importance of quarantining new fish!). Maybe if you don't want more babies try and get all the same sex. 

I have a lone Guppy right now that I have friends in QT for. He doesn't act like the gregarious guppy he was before all his friends died. He's not sick. So this is the direction I have to go. Your direction may vary! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Hi, 

I'm not sure about the hardness of the water and was wondering that myself. I ordered a test kit yesterday and will be here this weekend. As for his (I think his) appearance, there is nothing apparently wrong with him. No spots, deformities, scale issues, etc.image.png.df4f95546736406fd10d7b4a2b35adb5.pngimage.png.841581afcc489f4b7243dd13d678afdc.png

IMG_2832.PNG

• Love 1

Aww so cute. Yeah baby looks fine. I would probably lean towards getting him or her at least 2 friends (they're more comfortable in groups of 3-6). Again if you don't want reprodution (which I wouldn't blame you because a 10 gallon tank can get overstocked quick with live bearers) get all the same sex. Make sure to quarantine them before adding them. I would then check the GH in the meantime in case adjustments need to be made there. Hope that helps! 

Thanks! I'm a little unsure of the best way to quarantine without getting another tank just to do so. I know it's important but I'm wondering if there is any other way. I saw on a  co-op youtube video this week that I could do the med trio if I put them straight in the tank. I understand that's not ideal. Ideas?

I like to use small plastic containers. This is less expensive and easy to put away when not in use. Personally I use 3 gallon critter keepers from a big box (Imagitarium) but you can use any container (3 gallon tanks can be tricky to treat so it's often easier for new keeprs to get at least 5 gallons)

Try watching this video: 

I try not to medicate when I don't have to so personally I wouldn't medicate the main tank - however that's up to you! I would caution you though, since this is a precious pet- if they bring in a difficult illness you could lose little platy. It's easier and in the end typically with meds less expensive, to have something like the above set up. 

I like to squeeze out filter media from my established tank for bacteria and I typically use Seachem Stability for support, dosing daily. However most bottled bacteria should be fine. If you have nothing to squeeze out you can pull gravel or decorations from your established tank but don't put them back until they are sanitized after cleaning! 

I now have tested my hardness. The GH is ~200ppm while the KH is ~30ppm. Suggestions? I also am wondering besides the 3-4 platies to get what other good starter fish would do well in these parameters. I know the 1-inch rule. So that would make 2 guppies, 4-5 platies total, three snails and...