Layered Substrate, is it worth it?

I was wondering about how useful in the long run is layering substrates for a planted aquarium.  I've never been that crazy about the colors available for some of the more nutrient rich substrates so I was thinking about using a colored gravel substrate above the nutrient rich substrate to get the color I was looking for, but I'm wondering if in the long run, say 1-2 years down the road it would all ultimately end up as a mixed up gemish anyways.  Anyone have any experience with this?

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:52 PM, JettsPapa said:

Several of my tanks have layered substrate, but they're capped with sand instead of gravel.  I'm pretty sure sand would work better since it's less likely that the lower layer will percolate up to the surface.

What is the way to recharge the dirt on the bottom after a while as these type of tanks are meant to be not disturbed after being set up? Because even normal home plants that are being raised in pure soil requires recharging and fertilizers, and sometimes change of the soil itself. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:23 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

I was wondering about how useful in the long run is layering substrates for a planted aquarium.  I've never been that crazy about the colors available for some of the more nutrient rich substrates so I was thinking about using a colored gravel substrate above the nutrient rich substrate to get the color I was looking for, but I'm wondering if in the long run, say 1-2 years down the road it would all ultimately end up as a mixed up gemish anyways.  Anyone have any experience with this?

You can put the aquasoil in filter media bags and then cap with whatever substrate you want to see on top. This will keep the aqua soil from rising to the top.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:38 PM, NOLANANO said:

You can put the aqua soil in filter media bags and then cap with whatever substrate you want to see on top. This will keep the aqua soil from rising to the top.

That's more of what I was thinking to do with mine but haven't gotten around to it 
I do have a ugfs in my 75 gal with the substrate raised enough for the bigger plant's 
on the plates of the ugfs where they get most of the waste to their roots better.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:38 PM, NOLANANO said:

You can put the aquasoil in filter media bags and then cap with whatever substrate you want to see on top. This will keep the aqua soil from rising to the top.

I was debating about doing this, but in this senerio would the roots of the plants grow into the bags and thus make it harder to move the plants around later if I wanted to change up my layout, or just want to make room for other plants that I've picked up.

I would start here.... It's probably one of the best videos on the topic and explains things, scientifically, very well!

Up until about 2 weeks ago I would've been on the side of "never again" when it comes to capping substrates. 

The tank I just setup has contrasoil and seachem flourite on the top.  while I can say I don't really like flourite as much as I once did, I do think it's serving the job very well as a cap on the soil substrate.  The soil I am using is "extra fine" because that's what the shop had, but I would've preferred the fine size of the soil. 

I do think having an active substrate is very key for planted tanks. (I also know @Mmiller2001 has amazing tanks and also highly recommends the use of active substrates as opposed to something like inert with root tabs).

I can't argue with someone who has a tank that consistently looks that wonderful.  Whether is Corvus, Pecktec, Amano, Green Aqua, or Mmiller, there is a lot of advantage to just having active substrate in the tank, even in filter bags to absorb nutrients.

I think the biggest issue is finding the right cap, and to ensure it's thick enough to allow you to siphon and plant without pulling up the soil.

• Thanks 1

I definitely like both. Each has challenges and I've gone back to plain old pool filter sand with the new tank. Many believe using an inert substrate requires root tabs and I can assure you it's completely unnecessary.

If you replant a lot, the lower layers will be pulled up over time. Something to keep in mind.

This setup used inert substrate and never received a root tabs at any time. 

PXL_20220104_201054866_3.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 4

On 4/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would start here.... It's probably one of the best videos on the topic and explains things, scientifically, very well!

Up until about 2 weeks ago I would've been on the side of "never again" when it comes to capping substrates. 

The tank I just setup has contrasoil and seachem flourite on the top.  while I can say I don't really like flourite as much as I once did, I do think it's serving the job very well as a cap on the soil substrate.  The soil I am using is "extra fine" because that's what the shop had, but I would've preferred the fine size of the soil. 

I do think having an active substrate is very key for planted tanks. (I also know @Mmiller2001 has amazing tanks and also highly recommends the use of active substrates as opposed to something like inert with root tabs).

I can't argue with someone who has a tank that consistently looks that wonderful.  Whether is Corvus, Pecktec, Amano, Green Aqua, or Mmiller, there is a lot of advantage to just having active substrate in the tank, even in filter bags to absorb nutrients.

I think the biggest issue is finding the right cap, and to ensure it's thick enough to allow you to siphon and plant without pulling up the soil.

I couldn't watch it.  The music in the background was too distracting.

• Like 1

No. If way more trouble than it’s worth. Just my personal opinion. It really depends on tha plants you are going to grow. If your growing basic plants it’s a hassle. If you cap there can be issues with mixing of the layers. 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 3:33 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

I was debating about doing this, but in this senerio would the roots of the plants grow into the bags and thus make it harder to move the plants around later if I wanted to change up my layout, or just want to make room for other plants that I've picked up.

For stem plants, I do not find this to be the case but for one of my crypts, the roots did grow into the bag and make it difficult to move. The caveat is that this particular crypt was in the same spot for about a full year.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I definitely like both. Each has challenges and I've gone back to plain old pool filter sand with the new tank. Many believe using an inert substrate requires root tabs and I can assure you it's completely unnecessary.

If you replant a lot, the lower layers will be pulled up over time. Something to keep in mind.

This setup used inert substrate and never received a root tabs at any time. 

PXL_20220104_201054866_3.jpg

That's beautiful!  How long was it set up and how do you get over the hump before the waste produced can feed the plants?  I ask because I had an inert gravel substrate and for over a year never vacuumed it.  Also used root tabs and still just couldn't seem to get any stem plants to grow.  I suspect my issue was the height of the tank, I just tore it down and into a 40B this weekend.  But I'm still curious as to your ideas in regards to your tank!

On 4/3/2023 at 7:16 AM, JettsPapa said:

I couldn't watch it.  The music in the background was too distracting.

Sorry about that.  He's got a few videos on substrate and a livestream he did, but that is the one that is purely on topic and not about a mix of things.

Edited by nabokovfan87
brain tired
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, jwcarlson said:

That's beautiful!  How long was it set up and how do you get over the hump before the waste produced can feed the plants?  I ask because I had an inert gravel substrate and for over a year never vacuumed it.  Also used root tabs and still just couldn't seem to get any stem plants to grow.  I suspect my issue was the height of the tank, I just tore it down and into a 40B this weekend.  But I'm still curious as to your ideas in regards to your tank!

Fertilize the water column. That's all that's needed. CO2, no CO2, doesn't matter.

That was a while ago and don't remember how long it took.

• Like 2