Anyone seen or used and air power HOB

rockfisher

Awright!  Old school.  Love it!

Edit:  Oh right, you asked a question....  I think Pep is spot on.  An air stone isn't going to pull as much water, so yeah, lower flow rates.

Edited by Val
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:38 PM, Cory said:

I've got one of these in my office. In case I need to explain something to a manufacturer when I eventually start working on a hang on back.

I'm wondering if I could get a ugf system & hook up to a hob intake tube to it
that's IF the tube would fit the tube of the ugf, have you tried something like that? 

• Administrators

I haven't done that. I think for the most part, an undergravel filter itself will just be good enough. That being said, you could "optimize it" by running say purigen and such in the hang on back part. But I feel like this is doing a lot to optimize something that is unlikely needed by 99% of the hobby.

Thank you @xXInkedPhoenixX @Val     @Pepere
 @Flying fox 6523 I have UGF’s in a few tanks. They are by far the tanks with the clearest water. I don’t think you would need anything else. I have  2 each with just the air for the lift and 2 have power heads. There is not a whole lot of difference in the looks of the tanks. I like the powers heads in the bigger tanks just for the increased water flow. 

Also do you think this would be a idea for something like shrimp.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, rockfisher said:

Thank you @xXInkedPhoenixX @Val     @Pepere
 @Flying fox 6523 I have UGF’s in a few tanks. They are by far the tanks with the clearest water. I don’t think you would need anything else. I have  2 each with just the air for the lift and 2 have power heads. There is not a whole lot of difference in the looks of the tanks. I like the powers heads in the bigger tanks just for the increased water flow. 

Also do you think this would be a idea for something like shrimp.

I don't know anything about shrimp but depending on the power output 
on the power they have would be my concern. I have power pumps but 
I'm not sure if they would be good for a 75 gal & danios, cause there like 
400-800 gph pumps & haven't seen any with less power than that.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:43 PM, Pepere said:

UGF likely to have much more flow as it wont suffer the head loss assuming the outlet is at water level.

run that over the top into a hob and you cut the flow dramatically.

"run that over the top into a hob and you cut the flow dramatically."
How do you do that ? cause that's what I was thinking, just didn't 
know if it could be done or not. Till I seen your comment. 

Edited by Flying fox 6523

This is essentially like the Fluval HOB breeder boxes and I ran across a video where somebody had turned one of the breeder boxes into an HOB filter by adding a pump to it.  Made me laugh because you can get equivalent size HOB filters for less than the Fluval breeder boxes.  The water level is critical for the Fluval breeder boxes that are air driven because they don’t have a lot of lift to them.  If you rigged a funnel on the end of the intake and ran an actual airstone, you might get more lift, but as they are with the very small intake tube, they just don’t have a lot of flow.  Rigging to a UGF might improve the flow through the filter using a bigger tube and more air, but it’s still going to be weak in comparison to a pump.  Which is not to say that it couldn’t be a decent supplement or work just fine for a very small tank, especially for a betta or shrimp tank where you don’t need or want much flow.  You could probably rig a small pump to it if you wanted but that would defeat the purpose of having it only air driven.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1

I had never seen one. I was thinking I could be good with shrimp. I will most likely do just a UGF. I’ve seen the ones that are made for just shrimp with a box built into the tank

I haven’t done one like this and I’m alway up to try something new. That said I was thinking more of the standard UGF. Plates with the substrate over it. 

Edited by rockfisher