Tetras with Mouth Growth

OBXfishkeeper

Not sure what to do…Neon Tetras have been in quarantine for 6 weeks after receiving shipment from reputable online seller.
Most of the school had mouth growths so I immediately treated for Columnaris with 2 rounds of Kanaplex & Jungle Fungus Tabs (Nitrofurizone).
4 weeks later there’s no improvement but also not worse and no deaths. They have good color are eating schooling and other than mouths seem alright.

I’m currently doing a round of level 2 aquarium salt. I guess I’d love some advice on what to do next as I don’t want the quarantine to go on indefinitely but I don’t want to risk the health of my main tank either.

They are in a 10 gallon cycled tank.

0BD21B8B-2476-4FF9-BFFA-530109529CE8.jpeg

C6718C6C-E058-4518-A7AA-32177BB9E0F0.jpeg

What your seeing with the growths on the mouth can be a sign of neon tetra disease it can lay dormant for a long period of time before your fish start to show symptoms  stress such as shipping or poor water quality can weaken your fish immune system that when you start see symptoms  I would keep them in quarantine as neon tetra disease can affect angelfish danios barbs Rasboras  guppies and other Tetra species @OBXfishkeeper

Thank you Colu! Do you know how long it can stay dormant?

Is this mouth bump the dormancy stage?

Could it eventually go away and if so how long could that take?

Are the other tetras in this school without mouth growths healthy or possibly infected as well?

Sorry for all the questions…
I just hate to cull a school that seems to be doing well otherwise, but I don’t want a long term “sick tank” that I can’t add to.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:47 PM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Thank you Colu! Do you know how long it can stay dormant?

Is this mouth bump the dormancy stage?

Could it eventually go away and if so how long could that take?

Are the other tetras in this school without mouth growths healthy or possibly infected as well?

Sorry for all the questions…
I just hate to cull a school that seems to be doing well otherwise, but I don’t want a long term “sick tank” that I can’t add to.

It's possible something else is going if it is neon tetra disease Theirs currently no treatment available for Neon tetra disease if there active and eating I would just leave them they will gradually get to the point you might have to consider euthanizing I would just keep them in quarantine and not mix them with other fish it spreads when a fish dies and is eaten that cause the other fish to become infected with to many  pleistophora for their immune system to handle so they develop neon tetra disease he's some pictures of fish with Neon Tetra disease for comparison @OBXfishkeeper

IMG_20230403_103948.jpg

IMG_20230403_103925.jpg

Edited by Colu

Since you got them all from the same source, it is possible that the problem is genetic. I assume that it isn't cottony like a fungus. If it is, then treat for fungus. The only other option I have found is something called Oncorhynchus masou virus, which can cause growths on the mouths of fish that survive the virus.

Thank you so much for your replies! It does resemble the Neon Tetra Disease mouth growths, which was my initial suspicion (I treated for Columnaris since that was my 2nd best guess). It just hasn’t been progressive at all in 6 weeks; I really thought I’d see some decline if it was NTD especially in the smaller ones (they were basically fry when I received them.)

And yes, not cottony. I’m going to keep them in quarantine for now….tough call

• 3 weeks later...

Lumps on the mouth are called Snout chondroma they are  what you get with neon Tetra disease they don't  disappear from what I have read so it's possible something other than neon tetra disease could be the cause of the symptoms your seeing have treated with any medication since you last posted @OBXfishkeeper

Edited by Colu

No, no treatment/medication since I first got them. And surprisingly the bumps went away about a week after having to move them from a 10 gallon tank which sprang a leak and drained completely overnight to a 4 gallon tub…I thought for sure the stress of that event would have caused further issues.
The only other change aside from the move is that I’m not using a light; just natural light from a window.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:22 PM, OBXfishkeeper said:

No, no treatment/medication since I first got them. And surprisingly the bumps went away about a week after having to move them from a 10 gallon tank which sprang a leak and drained completely overnight to a 4 gallon tub…I thought for sure the stress of that event would have caused further issues.
The only other change aside from the move is that I’m not using a light; just natural light from a window.

If there improving what I would do is add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons and  monitor for now give an update in week or anything changes before them 

• Like 1