Fungus among us?

ricbennett3

Hi, does anyone know if this white but on my checker barbs mouth is Fungus? None of the others have it. It might be getting bigger. He is eating normally. I’m wondering if I should hit the tank with Fritz Maracyn. Thoughts?

880542AE-A196-4ADE-8D21-C8E587FF405B.jpeg

17A991AD-FE60-49CB-BE8C-5FBCE7F361EA.jpeg

It was challenging to get a focused pic of the white stuff. Here are some tank mates that don’t have it.

120EC23F-561A-4246-9D92-FB790A87255F.jpeg

On 3/31/2023 at 1:56 AM, ricbennett3 said:

It’s so small that it is hard to tell. 

What I would do if you can is quarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons for a week if you don't have a quarantine tank then I would do salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for now more than 15 minutes for 5 days 

On 3/30/2023 at 6:03 PM, Colu said:

What I would do if you can is quarantine

Thanks for the thoughts. This sort of is their quarantine tank. It’s a month or so old setup that I was holding them in to check for illness before moving them over to my 22-gallon. This is a 10-gallon I was setting up for fish I don’t have yet. Thought I’d use it to quarantine these guys since they were available and I’d had a hard time tracking them down. More info than needed, I know….

On 3/31/2023 at 2:14 AM, ricbennett3 said:

Thanks for the thoughts. This sort of is their quarantine tank. It’s a month or so old setup that I was holding them in to check for illness before moving them over to my 22-gallon. This is a 10-gallon I was setting up for fish I don’t have yet. Thought I’d use it to quarantine these guys since they were available and I’d had a hard time tracking them down. More info than needed, I know….

As you have live plants I would do the the salt baths 

On 3/30/2023 at 6:17 PM, Colu said:

As you have live plants I would do the the salt baths 

Colu, thanks again for the suggestions. It’s been like this for more than a week. I keep watching and looking for other signs, since the fish is eating and behaving normally. The spot is so small, and fish so quick, I can’t get a close up look. I have seen no evidence of anything else going on. I keep thinking if it is a fungus, it would likely be getting worse over time, though I have little experience with fish diseases. I also wonder if it is an injury. These fish seem to like pecking at almost everything…except the shrimp, which I appreciate:)

Could be caused by injury or a growth what I would recommend is adding a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons at that level it won't harm your plants and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect monitor for a week after a week give us an update  before then if it gets worse @ricbennett3

On 3/31/2023 at 7:02 PM, Colu said:

Could be caused by injury or a growth what I would recommend is adding a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons at that level it won't harm your plants and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect monitor for a week after a week give us an update  before then if it gets worse @ricbennett3

Thanks for the advice. I have a few almond leaves in there already. I’ll get and add a bit of salt. I read quite a few of your disease descriptions. Thanks for the knowledge 

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever the issue he was having seems to have resolved. I didn’t do much. Some almond leaves and regular maintenance. I often err on the side of doing nothing when problems arise. If they get worse, I act. In this case, doing nothing was the right call as it got better. 

IMG_9491.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the ideas:)

• Like 1