Does mold affect the water quality of the fish tank?

On 3/30/2023 at 5:03 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted a question on the forum but I had to ask. Does mold affect the water quality? I wanted to ask this question because it seems that my aquarium got an ammonia spike and one of my fish have pink gills.

Have you done water changes to remove the ammonia? Also (just checking) the fish that has pink gills now did not have pink gills before? I have some light colored guppies and a white swordtail whose gills look pink all the time.

A photo of whatever is orange on your filter would help to know what's going on.

On 4/2/2023 at 4:36 AM, PineSong said:

Have you done water changes to remove the ammonia? Also (just checking) the fish that has pink gills now did not have pink gills before? I have some light colored guppies and a white swordtail whose gills look pink all the time.

A photo of whatever is orange on your filter would help to know what's going on.

I did at least 3 water changes already and removed all of the ammonia. I think the mold wasn't really mold at all as the mold doesn't seem to be harming the fish. It could be overfeeding as the fish seems to have red gills.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:03 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

I did at least 3 water changes already and removed all of the ammonia. I think the mold wasn't really mold at all as the mold doesn't seem to be harming the fish. It could be overfeeding as the fish seems to have red gills.

If your tank is showing ammonia when you test water, it might not be cycled yet. There’s lots of info about getting your tank cycled on the Co-op YouTube channel and in the blog if you need it. If you’re worried about the fish with the pink gills, you can ask for help in the Disease section of the forum. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 5:57 PM, PineSong said:

If your tank is showing ammonia when you test water, it might not be cycled yet. There’s lots of info about getting your tank cycled on the Co-op YouTube channel and in the blog if you need it. If you’re worried about the fish with the pink gills, you can ask for help in the Disease section of the forum. 

Alright thanks for the advice! Although the tank is already cycled for about 9 months now.

Edited by Henry the fish keeper