Where did my Cory catfish go?

Flying fox 6523

This makes no sense to me, I'm missing 1 of my albino catfish 
I can't seem to find it anywhere, not in the aquarium or in the 
basket that I  use for fish while I clean their aquarium, the 
basket I have is like a 13 inches L X 5 inches W & 6 inches D.

It has plant's in the basket it's like 1-2 inches out of the water 
at the top so they don't jump out, & I don't see it in the tank 
the basket is in, thinking it might have jumped out, but nope.

I know I SEEN IT go into the basket, the tank has a cover so 
it couldn't have jumped out cause I haven't found it on the 
floor anywhere, has anyone else had this happen ? cause it 
has me baffled, if I happen to find it I'll let you know, thanks.

Did you check in the couch cushions? 

Here are the answers we're all thinking...

• it died, and was eaten/cleaned up/disintegrated by the other inhabitants of the tank (I think this happens WAY more than we appreciate with nano fish, esp when there are shrimp and snails in the tank)
  • it jumped out and was "cleaned up" by a vacuum or pet. 
  • aliens. 
  • Haha 2

I've had this happen a couple times. Once with my goldfish. I eventually found her underneath a piece of driftwood buried in the sand. I'm not sure if she got stuck digging for food or if she was hiding because she didn't feel good. When I lifted the wood, she was dazed and covered in sand, but recovered. 

The other time with a zebra danio. I eventually found that they jumped out of the  tank. 

My recommendation is to look under absolutely everything in the tank. 

• Love 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I had an Apisto Trifacita go missing. I went on vacation for 3 days and when I returned he was gone. Tank had a lid and I never found his body anywhere so I don't think he jumped out. And I was only gone for 3 days so I find it hard to believe that the other fish ate him to the point that he vanished in that short amount of time.  I have since broken down that setup and still no bones or anything was found.  No clue what happened.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, TOtrees said:

Did you check in the couch cushions? 

Here are the answers we're all thinking...

• it died, and was eaten/cleaned up/disintegrated by the other inhabitants of the tank (I think this happens WAY more than we appreciate with nano fish, esp when there are shrimp and snails in the tank)
  • it jumped out and was "cleaned up" by a vacuum or pet. 
  • aliens. 

Unfortunately, I hate to say you & others MAY BE right, but how
did it jump out of a covered tank or into the tank the basket is
in ?with hardly any room to jump out of the basket in the 1st place ?
I swept the floor B-4 I moved them, 3ft to the other tank in a net 
I never took my hand off the top of the net (2 steps) & no pets.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, Ninjoma said:

I've had this happen a couple times. Once with my goldfish. I eventually found her underneath a piece of driftwood buried in the sand. I'm not sure if she got stuck digging for food or if she was hiding because she didn't feel good. When I lifted the wood, she was dazed and covered in sand, but recovered. 

The other time with a zebra danio. I eventually found that they jumped out of the  tank. 

My recommendation is to look under absolutely everything in the tank. 

As lit up as my tank is & the size of the basket they were in & how the tank
is set up You'd Be just as confused as me, I should put a video on here on 
how my tank is set up the the Cory is missing from, which I can do real easy.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, NOLANANO said:

I had an Apisto Trifacita go missing. I went on vacation for 3 days and when I returned he was gone. Tank had a lid and I never found his body anywhere so I don't think he jumped out. And I was only gone for 3 days so I find it hard to believe that the other fish ate him to the point that he vanished in that short amount of time.  I have since broken down that setup and still no bones or anything was found.  No clue what happened.

That's what I'm saying, this is just in HRS with mine & I'm 
totally lost on where it went, so yea that's pretty ? up.

I always looking at the floor so if it was on the floor 
I would have seen it or stepped on it but neither 1.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, Pepere said:

I have had a heck of a time getting Serpae Tetra from Petco through quarantine.

I had a group of 8 that only one made it to the display tank.  In that batch I only fished out 4 bodies.  And when you but at Petco buy 3 get 1 free, the first 2 bodies dont count.  They dont refund free fish…. And it was a 10 gallon quarantine tank,with removable fake plants,  pulled them out as well as the heaters etc, no dead bodies found.  In the basement on stands looked all around on the floor with string lights… not a hint…

out of 32 Serpae Tetra I have bought from Petco, 4 batches of 8, I have 6 in a display tank, and 10 currently in quarantine tanks.  Pretty abysmal record…. And the parameters are all spot on… quarantine meds, extra aeration etc…. I have had multiple batches of fish clear 6 week quarantine with 100% survival…

Pretty strange when fish disappear without a trace huh?

On 3/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, jwcarlson said:

I had a betta disappear without a trace as well.  It happens.  I'm sure it died and was consumed.  It was only about a 24-36 hour span between seeing and realizing he was gone.

So I'm not the only 1 who has fish vanish out of the blue.

Well, as others mentioned, either died and got eaten, or jumped and you will probably find the dead body dried somewhere unless you have pets around.

I don't think Albino corys have a good vision. I personally haven't seen them hiding like most other corys tbh.

• Sad 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:15 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

So I'm not the only 1 who has fish vanish out of the blue.

Nope, and not a single tiny spike in ammonia either, which I tested immediately.  There's a lot of shrimp and I guess they made quick work.  The other theory I had was it jumped out and the cat ate it.  But that's two fairly unlikely events in my opinion.

• Love 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Well, well, well, I just found that little squirt, whew thank God 
it's in the tank, some how or another it found a way to get out 
of the basket & into the aquarium that the basket is in, smart fart.

Now to catch it is going to be a chore with all the plant's & other 
stuff in the tank & not to mention it's a 75 gal aquarium at that 
so that's going to be fun & while I'm at it I may as well try &
get the 3 danio's out & put them in the basket or other tank.

Edited by Flying fox 6523
  • Like 2

Based off observations in my own tank...  I think a lot of people would be surprised how quickly something can go from dead to being completely disintegrated by the creatures in your tank.  I've seen hillstream loaches go from alive (when I checked my tank right before going to bed, 9-10 pm), to not much left besides a backbone in less than 24 hours (the next afternoon when I returned from work, 3-4 pm).  I have a lot of shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails.  I ended up just leaving the spine of the fish (by that point, any ammonia spike was already going to happen as most of the biomass had been consumed by others), and by the end of the next day, I couldn't find any evidence of it.  A healthy tank will "digest" dead material a lot faster than most of us expect.  

If I have a fish disappear with no trace, I assume nature took its course, and there's not much for me to find.  I have a lot of inverts and a lot of plant matter so there likely won't be much for me to find, and the plants can likely very quickly take care of any ammonia spikes.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 8:54 AM, RockMongler said:

Based off observations in my own tank...  I think a lot of people would be surprised how quickly something can go from dead to being completely disintegrated by the creatures in your tank.  I've seen hillstream loaches go from alive (when I checked my tank right before going to bed, 9-10 pm), to not much left besides a backbone in less than 24 hours (the next afternoon when I returned from work, 3-4 pm).  I have a lot of shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails.  I ended up just leaving the spine of the fish (by that point, any ammonia spike was already going to happen as most of the biomass had been consumed by others), and by the end of the next day, I couldn't find any evidence of it.  A healthy tank will "digest" dead material a lot faster than most of us expect.  

If I have a fish disappear with no trace, I assume nature took its course, and there's not much for me to find.  I have a lot of inverts and a lot of plant matter so there likely won't be much for me to find, and the plants can likely very quickly take care of any ammonia spikes.

I hate it when I lose anything in my tanks cause I feel it's something I done wrong 
I go through a load of what happened? what did I do? what went wrong? thoughts 
so after a time of thinking & shame it comes to the simple answer, it wasn't me.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:12 PM, Stef said:

I glad you found him. I lost a betta who got himself wedged into his cholla wood log and got stuck. It was heartbreaking. Never using those again. Fish can get themselves into all kinds of pickles. 

Yea I've had 1 do that with a decorated rock that I had in the tank 
it scared the crap out of me I had to break the rock to save it &
now I make sure there's nothing in the tank they can get stuck.