Red Tiger Lotus

Scaperoot

About 6 weeks ago, I ordered Tiger lotus bulbs from 2 vendors. There was a really nice sale, PLUS a buy 2, get 1 offer. I ended up with about a dozen bulbs. So far, only 4 have sprouted leaves. Is it possible that all the rest are duds, or do I give them more time? The 12 were spread out over 5 tanks. The main difference in water parameters between the tanks would be temperature. Our 2 tanks with Bettas run at 76-77ƒ. Each of those has at least one bulb that is doing well. The strange thing is, I have a gorgeous Lotus in a 10 gallon that has been growing for nearly a year, and the temp in that tank is 72ƒ. I was previously told the temp was the issue in the tanks with no growth, but that doesn't explain the Lotus that's grown beautifully for months. Any ideas? 

• Like 1

I am not sure, I have one in an 82 degree formerly GBR set up and at one point I had growth issues out of my other plants and thought the Tiger Lotus was the issue so I removed it and put it in a tank that I was in the process of breaking down that had no heater, light, or filter running, and was about 72 degrees. It was able to survive in that tank (and even grow more) for about a month before I figured out my real issue and moved it back to my larger tank.

Point being that once they sprout, I think they are super hardy which may explain why one plant is thriving while another bulb won't sprout.

Also I have read that if it doesn't sprout after a few weeks, to flip the bulb over. Sometimes we mistakenly place them upside down.

• Like 1

I remember hearing Cory saying in a video that there's a reasonable chance of dud bulbs that never sprout so it isn't uncommon for companies to include an extra or to send a replacement if you email them about it. Granted, ACO customer support is exceptional and other companies may have their own policies around it.

They might be in the wrong position. Try to play around it and see if it will work! 

Also, just to make sure, only around 1/3 part of it is burried right?

In addition, I've seperated my plants from their bulb after a while they grow enough leaves and roots, and I managed to get 4 different lilies from a single bulb. Something maybe helpful

On 3/30/2023 at 3:52 PM, Lennie said:

They might be in the wrong position. Try to play around it and see if it will work! 

Also, just to make sure, only around 1/3 part of it is burried right?

In addition, I've seperated my plants from their bulb after a while they grow enough leaves and roots, and I managed to get 4 different lilies from a single bulb. Something maybe helpful

I had no idea you could separate them😃 You learn something new every day! I'll definitely rotate the ones that haven't sprouted. Thank you🙏

On 3/31/2023 at 3:46 PM, Scaperoot said:

I had no idea you could separate them😃 You learn something new every day! I'll definitely rotate the ones that haven't sprouted. Thank you🙏

Your welcome! 
There is two rooted ones next to each other here: 

84293558-9B29-4317-86C9-3084A100270E.jpeg.08058b875271cad704cab0321e709bb8.jpeg

I used the same bulb for a third plant, and now it is sprouting the 4th one!:

74AE9869-7E13-4B5E-A43D-3F26B2A77523.jpeg.a61fd62d9e57d671f94fcafc55ec4885.jpeg

On 3/31/2023 at 8:46 AM, Scaperoot said:

I bought some awhile back & only 1 spouted for me & once it got enough roots 
I took the bulb off & left it in the tank for like 2 mons & it never did anything.

The 1 plant I did get from it is growing good so I'm thinking of getting more 
to put in my 30 gal aquarium so I can get some plant's in it for the danio.

On 4/1/2023 at 4:35 AM, John Henry said:

This Red Tiger separated from it's bulb about 6 weeks ago, any thoughts as to why the leaves are growing so low to the substrate?  My first thought was too much light but I am only at 25% power for 8 hr/day.

thumbnail_IMG_5490.jpg

Did you keep cutting its leaves that it shooted to reach surface? Aka “trained” it?