New to Shrimp

Louise02

I am interested in eventually adding shrimp to my aquariums to help on the clean-up crews.  I have never kept shrimp before, and I am not even sure where to begin.  I have a 2.5 gallon planted tank that has been running with this set up for eight-months (2.5 years before that).  I suppose that that tank will be about a year old before any shrimp are added.  I thought, perhaps, I could keep some in this small tank, but as they reproduce, I could add them to other planted tanks.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, to figure out how to keep shrimp?  Thank you in advance!

Can you share a pic or two of this 2.5 gallon setup? What kind of maintenance do you do on it? Is it filtered and/or heated, and how strong is the lighting (no right or wrong answers, just trying to understand what you're working with, and get a sense of you general knowledge/experience)?

Do you ever test the water?

Where I'm going with all this is one of two directions: either put a couple of cherry shrimp in the tank and see how they do, and that will be your answer; or spend a bit of time ensuring its a tight and safe setup before adding them. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:12 PM, Louise02 said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction, to figure out how to keep shrimp? 

Apart from the above mentioned items I would also highly recommend enjoying some of this guy's videos.  Very knowledgeable and straightforward information.