Right size of sponge filter?

wes.crockett

Hey all,

Ordering supplied to move from my 10g aquarium to a 29g rimless cube. I plan to do a mix of substrates with the primary being a plant-nutrient beneficial substrate like Fluval's Aquarium Soil. A small amount of gravel (from the previous tank) and then a bit of sand. It will slope downwards from the back left to the right front with the aquarium soil being the bulk of the substrate.

I plan to put a rock or wood feature in the center, favoring the back left a bit and I plan to hide the sponge filer in the far back left corner, hopefully hidden a bit by plants and the centerpiece.

I am ordering the 100-watt Aquarium Coop heater and the new battery-backed-up air pump as well as a sponge filter and never-clog ziss airstone.

Is the Medium large enough if it is the only filter?

As it stands, we'll have 2 ottos, 6 black neon tetras, and 1 honey gourmi. After some time, we plan to add more tetras and some shrimp (likely amano).

I plan to have it 'medium' planted.

Thank you

-Wes

On 3/28/2023 at 7:42 PM, Afishionado said:

I think the medium sponge makes the most sense as far as I’m aware.

What’s your reasoning behind the mix of substrates?

Thanks.

As far as the mis, purely aesthetic. All plants will be directly planted in the aquarium soil or attached to the centerpiece.

• Like 1

I like the medium ACO sponge the best for that size tank. 

One of my 29’s I have a medium sponge and a Tetra Whisper internal filter. 

My other 29 I have a large sponge filter and a Tetra Whisper internal filter. 

They both work. I personally prefer the medium size sponge, though. Easier to clean in my opinion. 

If I were to get rid of the internal whisper filters I wouldn’t bat an eye. I just like the additional surface agitation/water movement. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:57 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I wouldn’t sweat it at all. Remember that everything that’s wet (substrate, wood, rocks, decorations, plants, the glass, etc) all grow bacteria as well. 

For sure on the bacteria front. was more wondering if a single Medium sponge is sufficient filtration by itself for the tank.

I like to go with two sponges in most of my tanks over 10 gals. I think a 29 I would use 2 medium sponges. I would not be comfortable with just on. If I didn’t want 2 I would size up to the large. Now it’s easier to hide to medium than one large. I think a one med will work when things are perfect. You may miss having an hob just to keep the water polished as I saw it mentioned. I have sponges in my tanks and a very undersized hob just to polish the water. That’s more a of a personal thing. The tanks are fine with just sponge filters. 

• Like 1

I could continue using my HOB as I think it is a 20g rated one too. I was hoping to reduce overall footprint of 'devices' in the tank since the cube has less back-wall space and I was planning on a sloped aqua-scape from a back corner to the opposing front corner. A small cannister filter would probably be best in this case but where the tank is being located doesn't really provide much area for it.

I would keep the hob. Clean it up and have it ready, but see how you like the sponges. I have many tanks and on the breeders I just use sponges or UGF. You can always put the HOB on later. For example on my 75 I have 40g hob and on the 55’s 20 gal. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:41 AM, Afishionado said:

If you were looking to use a power filter, why not go with an internal filter in this situation? It won’t take up any back-wall space, can be hidden wherever needed, and is much less expensive and hard to maintain than a canister

I was actually, initially, leaning towards the Sicce Shark Pro 700... seems like a very highly rated product that is pretty simple. Think it'd be better than a single Medium Sponge?

On 3/29/2023 at 9:51 AM, Plechoeco said:

I’ve been using two medium sized ACO sponge filters in my 55gal. It’s only been going for about 2 months, but I’m happy so far. Plenty of water movement. I second @rockfisher, I would keep the HOB and start with just the sponge, if you want more filtration you can just add the HOB. 

Adding later is certainly an option. Thanks.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, wes.crockett said:

I was actually, initially, leaning towards the Sicce Shark Pro 700... seems like a very highly rated product that is pretty simple. Think it'd be better than a single Medium Sponge?

I haven’t used that filter. I have one like it but a cheap one. I still use sponges and I use that more to replace HOB’s. They work and are very quiet. I think you will likely be happy with that. If you decide to go that way and you decide up want just a little more you can add a sponge if needed. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, wes.crockett said:

If you'r trying to reduce the "overall" footprint, that seems awfully big to me.  And I'm with you.  The less I see in the tank the better.  I can not stand the sight of a sponge filter in a tank.  If I was going to spend $65 on a Sicce (not a brand I'm familiar with) I'd get AquaClear.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, Val said:

If you'r trying to reduce the "overall" footprint, that seems awfully big to me.  And I'm with you.  The less I see in the tank the better.  I can not stand the sight of a sponge filter in a tank.  If I was going to spend $65 on a Sicce (not a brand I'm familiar with) I'd get AquaClear.

Yeah, the Sicce Shark Pro 700 is about 10 inches tall and 3 inches deep/wide. It's not HUGE, but it's not tiny either... It could probably be hidden behind the cube tanks center piece (rock or wood) and plants, but I agree it's bigger than ideal.

As far as brands, Sicce is pretty highly rated. Check out KGTropicals review of it on Youtube.

• Like 1

I personally like sponge filters as an assistance and HOBs as my main filter source. In my 29g I have a HOB with 550 lt/h performance as well as a medium sized sponge filter. I feel like this combination works the best for that tank size. Good flow, surface agitation, HOB offers nice amount of media box as well as option to use purigen, biorings, filter floss, active carbon etc. Also has a waterfall effect if that's your thingy.

I personally would not do a single sponge filter but it also depends on your budget for the current tank setup. We can't always spare enough money for a new tank and may need to work with what we have on the hand. I would try to do either 2 sponge filters, or preferably one HOB one sponge filter. Or a good HOB and Neo air diffuser, which is my new fav combo to run.

I personally find sponge filters a bit weak for mechanical cleaning. They do not provide a good circulation, so the tank has dead spots. Also when you compare the amount of gunk you have on a sponge filter and HOB prefilter in a week of running, the difference is pretty big. My HOB prefilters literally get yucky and full of detrius. Sponge filter, far from doing the job HOB prefilter does. Biologically, they can both help anyway.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:39 PM, Lennie said:

I personally find sponge filters a bit weak for mechanical cleaning. They do not provide a good circulation, so the tank has dead spots. Also when you compare the amount of gunk you have on a sponge filter and HOB prefilter in a week of running, the difference is pretty big. My HOB prefilters literally get yucky and full of detrius. Sponge filter, far from doing the job HOB prefilter does. Biologically, they can both help anyway.

I like to have a HOB and a sponge filter like you said. Sponge filters are my choice in a shrimp tank but even in one of mine i put sponge on the HOB, to protect the shrimp, in that tank for more circulation and cleaning. 

On 3/28/2023 at 11:34 PM, wes.crockett said:

That's comforting to hear. I do plan to run only this filter in the tank.

A good sized sponge if that is all you are using should work but maybe keep an eye on the bioload to be sure the sponge is big enough to do it's job.