How to prep Dragon Stone (Ohko Stone) for Aquarium ?

KittenFishMom

I use Dragon Stone in basically all my tanks. 

It has TONS of nooks and crannies filled with mud and dirt. You will need to rinse them EXTENSIVELY before putting them in your tank!

Rinse and scrub and rinse and scrub and rinse and scrub. When you think you’re done, you’re probably halfway there. 

I don’t use any chemicals or anything. Just lots and lots of rinsing and scrubbing under running tap water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, MattyM said:

I soaked mine in a bucket of water and rinsed best I could for a few days. Still got some mud/clay in the tank but it is easily siphoned out. 

This.....

For dragon stone you seriously want to soak it.

I get the stone home, use a hose, try to spray off any of the major dirt and rinse out the holes. Once you get there you'll start to see the "mud holes" that you can clean out. That mud has been packed in there forever and needs to be rehydrated to be able to clean it out. The stone can crumble on you, but the main thing is that you either get that mud out before or it's going to be released in the tank.

It's a fantastic stone, just be patient. Shake it underwater, clean it, rinse it, and try to get that stuff stuck deep inside.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

It has TONS of nooks and crannies filled with mud and dirt. You will need to rinse them EXTENSIVELY before putting them in your tank!

When I first got mine all of this was filled in.

20230327_141733.JPG

20230327_141742.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1