How To Raise Endler Fry

AquariumCentral

I stopped at the LFS yesterday to pick up some 5/$1 fry. I got like 13 for $2 and all have survived so far. I'm feeding haraki nano pellets. Any other fast growing food ideas? I want them to fatten up quickly so they can go into my main tank. (they are in a breeding net right now with 2 male grown endlers, I couldn't get them out of the breeding net and they aren't doing any harm.) 

It depends if you want to go the easy route or the not so easy route. I personally like Hikari first bites. It's already crushed to be a good size for them and it's made to help them grow. That's the easy route!

Now for the not as easy route. I have never done it personally but a lot of people who try to growout fry quickly use green water and live baby brine shrimp. Imo not entirely sure why the live bbs tbh, but the green water basically makes it so they have a constant food source between the times you feed. Its not easy to do though. 

A seasoned tank will have a similar effect and is not as difficult. The more seasoned tanks have more micro organism, algae, etc, even that we cannot see that the fish can use as a food source. If you don't have a seasoned tank there are things you can do to encourage it although tbh, I didn't sleep last night and I'm starting to doubt myself and if it would work for endlers or just shrimp haha. Someone correct me please if this wouldn't work.

Basically you wanna build up the mulm and make it look gross. The grosser it looks to us, the yummier it is for them. Maybe add a mystery snail to the tank. They poop a ton and in their poop micro organism will come. You can try things like driftwood or bacter ae although that's where I doubt if it's really more a shrimp thing and would work here. I think leaf litter in general helps tho too that you can buy online. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

I don't do anything different.  The fry seem to survive off the shreds the adults leave behind.  I probably have 300 endlers in my 20 gallon.  200 fry and 100 adults. I feed 1.5 algae wafers, 5 crab cuisine pellets, and 2 brine cubes once a day.

Edited by Allan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, AquariumCentral said:

I want to move them out of the breeder net into the 25 gallon tank I have. It has no fish in it. How do i cover the filter intake to keep them from getting sucked up? Is it a better idea to just keep them int he breeder net? 

Based on the COOP videos, you should cover the filter intake.  I just use sponge filters, so I can't say from experience if Endler fry can get away from the suction.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:54 AM, Allan said:

I don't do anything different.  The fry seem to survive off the shreds the adults leave behind.  I probably have 300 endlers in my 20 gallon.  200 fry and 100 adults. I feed 1.5 algae wafers, 5 crab cuisine pellets, and 2 brine cubes once a day.

I would love to see photos of this tank! I thought I had the most fish per tank of anyone, but you've got me beat! 

On 3/29/2023 at 2:30 PM, Allan said:

Based on the COOP videos, you should cover the filter intake.  I just use sponge filters, so I can't say from experience if Endler fry can get away from the suction.

You can cover the filter intake with a piece of pantyhose, a pre-filter sponge, or anything else that will let water through but keep fry out.  In a pinch, I have used filter media (that stuff that is like fleece pads) wrapped around the intake with a rubber band. 

On 3/27/2023 at 2:11 PM, AquariumCentral said:

OMG an ENDLER GUY!! tell me everything i need to know to raise them and keep them forever!

Are there any other fish/ plants in the tank, because endlers live in slightly saline waters, probably would enjoy a 1.001 specific gravity

Otherwise just add water and food, they will do the rest!

On 3/27/2023 at 12:32 PM, AquariumCentral said:

I want to move them out of the breeder net into the 25 gallon tank I have. It has no fish in it. How do i cover the filter intake to keep them from getting sucked up? Is it a better idea to just keep them int he breeder net? 

I have my fry in my main tank, like with all sorts of stuff, never have seen them get eaten (in person) 

I would use a sponge filter, as I commonly see the fry picking at it

Floating plants are appreciated

I wrote a thing on them for a English assignment that I will share if you want

The beginning is the main part where I detail the behavior I have observed, its pretty dumbed down so non nerms can understand and probably is full of grammatical errors but I digress 

On Poecilia wingei Maturity 

*This paper should be in no way referenced in a scientific paper this is purely anecdotal.* 

Poecilia wingei, commonly known as Endler's livebearers or Endler's guppies, is a common species of live-bearing aquarium fish native to Venezuela. Endlers are relatively genetically clean (unless hybridized with Poecilia reticulata) so it can give insight into their endangered wild population. The first day after being born, the fry is skittish, sticking to the region they were born in or adjacent areas connected by secure cover (very low activity.) After a few days after being born the fry are actively searching the surface of the water for any infusoria that they can find and catch (not much movement but usually are more active in areas in close proximity but not under floating plants, preferring to be exposed to the open water where presumably infusoria are feeding and reproducing.) Approximately a month after birth the fry begins to show sexually dimorphic traits; the females even though the same age are slightly larger than the males. The males also have developed a gonopodium which they use to procreate when they reach full maturity (although they start showing courting behavior), and females begin to show a black spot (their womb.) One month and a day to a week the males begin to show color (starting with their spot) explosive growth continues for the next few days- weeks (they have reached full maturity.)