Hello!

Nice to meet everyone!

My wife and I got our aquarium-obsessed 3 year old a tank for her 3rd birthday. Of course, I'm responsible for it, but it's in her playroom.

It's a Fluval Spec V with a few modifications. There's a single Betta, about 8 cherry shrimp, and some plants: some tissue culture anubias nana, two varieties of bucephelandra, java moss, vallisneria, and a java fern

16798520582401059469943893513366.jpg

• Like 7

Oh, she loves it! She helps feed the Betta and has discovered she can drag a chair over to the dresser to see things better.

Of course, the cherry shrimp only ever seem to come out late at night after she has been put to bed.

Oh, she loves it! She helps feed the Betta and has discovered she can drag a chair over to the dresser to see things better.

Of course, the cherry shrimp only ever seem to come out late at night after she has been put to bed.

IME (always different schools of thought) You're going to want to see at least a little nitrate and no nitrite/ammonia. I like my kh to be in the middling zone but some fish keepers don't care too much about kh. However, kh will help with ph stability in the end. A tank with no kh may be prone to ph swings. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:07 PM, Juxtaposed said:

This is my test from this afternoon. I'm so new to planted aquariums that it means very little to me...

How does it look to you aquarium veterans? 

PXL_20230330_210841313~2.jpg

Image  If the Betta swims around happily and the shrimp are healthy then it's possible it's cycled or the plants are consuming it all. I'm curious if you add any fertilizers to help the plants? In time the Nitrate should show something. 

Welcome in and what a nice setup you have. It must be nice to look at daily. 

• Thanks 1

The Betta seems happy, and the shrimp seem alright: they're molting, and I've actually seen a few babies. I've got a pothos trailing into the tank, and I'm sure they're heavy feeders since they're houseplants, so I might move it.

I have been dosing weekly with Flourish, but I wasn't seeing much growth, so I recently ordered Easy Green. I've only used one it once, though, because it just came in last Saturday. 

• Like 1

Well then it seems maybe you have the balance in a way that there is no Nitrate which isn't necessarily a bad thing then, the plants just soak it all up. How are the plants looking? They getting enough? I would have expected a little Nitrate if you're dosing ferts. But awesome your betta and shrimp are thriving!

The Java Fern seems to be dying off, but the corkscrew vals are growing quickly and new ones seem to be sprouting out of the substrate every few days. The moss has probably doubled in size and is floating everywhere; I had to cut off a hunk and put it in a small no-tech vase aquarium.

I had a green wavy bucephelandra melt all the way back to the rhizome, but the Godzilla bucephelandra looks healthy. The anubias have put out new leaves, but the older leaves are yellowing. 

The Java Fern seems to be dying off, but the corkscrew vals are growing quickly and new ones seem to be sprouting out of the substrate every few days. The moss has probably doubled in size and is floating everywhere; I had to cut off a hunk and put it in a small no-tech vase aquarium.

I had a green wavy bucephelandra melt all the way back to the rhizome, but the Godzilla bucephelandra looks healthy. The anubias have put out new leaves, but the older leaves are yellowing. 

• Like 1